Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18 pound full packer brisket, you have to do the whole packer.

Options
I've done several brisket flats over the years and they always come out a little too tough. I can't seem to find a butcher or grocery store that has full packers on hand without placing a special order, which is why I don't normally do packers. After a little investigating I determined that I needed to find a way to get a membership to Restaurant Depot. They have packers on hand along with whatever else you can think of. I joined KCBS and my membership card gets me into RD. So far I've done two packer briskets. I've learned two important lessons from going with full packers. First, you can cook them low and slow for much longer due to the size, which allows the flat to get much tenderer. Second, the point is the best brisket meat hands down, moist brisket is so good I wish I could just buy points alone. I did my second full packer this past Thursday for an office holiday party. I took an 18 pound packer, trimmed it, then rubbed it down with my homemade salt&pepper rub. After 16 hours at 235 in the XL BGE this is what awaited me. Came out great, tender and tons of flavor.

Go full packer or go home.

MP

Comments