Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Panic - Egg frozen shut

Options
I have a new BGE, so the felt is still pristine. In Atlanta, it rained last Monday and Tuesday, then turned cold.  Thursday morning it was 26 degrees at 9:00 am. At 11:00, we decided to start the fire. The top and bottom were frozen together and wouldn't open. Panic! The hair dryer method blew the breaker and didn't work. We had a fire in a portable fire pit, so we took some coals from it and shoved them down the chimney of the egg. This was working, but not fast enough. This method actually began to light the left over charcoal in the egg.  Hot water around the felt was the last attempt. The combination of inside/outside heat finally allowed us to open it up. I just didn't want to crack the ceramic. The spatchcock turkey turned out perfect! Another success story on the egg.  I'm covering mine next year.
LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA

Comments