Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Rockwood in CA?

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Just put in a charcoal order on Firecraft and noticed they're now carrying Rockwood, which is awesome, but that it's not available for shipping to California, which is distinctly not awesome! Anyone know why? Is there a new CA distributor for Rockwood? 

Cheers
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Prop 65......the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986.

This act requires us to put additional labeling on the bag because charcoal produces carbon monoxide.  There's no really clear cut phrase or location spelled out like the CPSC does for the warning label that's already on the bag.  So we would have to have an attorney that specializes in environmental law on retainer in California to monitor this act and advise us on how to keep the labels current.

Based off of the ridiculous lawsuit settlements we read off the Prop 65 enforcement page, we finally made the decision not to sell our product in California.  The extra legal fees, insurance, special printing plates, cost to print low run special bags JUST for California, etc added up quick--not to mention the overall liability.

Incidentally, the shipping cost to CA is very high, even from Missouri.  The price of Rockwood on the shelf would be very high compared to all the new charcoal coming into Long Beach from South America and China.  I highly doubt we would sell enough charcoal to pay for all the extra expense.

Sorry to the Californians......My company would love to be able to ship you our charcoal, but we cannot make the investment and take the risk at this point.  Please write your legislators and ask them to repeal this outdated act.  You would be surprised how many other products have special packaging for you, or just flat do not sell in that state.

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Thanks @stlcharcoal, that makes sense from a business perspective. One more thing to dislike about good 'ol CA. Anyone hiring in the Madison, WI area?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Thanks @stlcharcoal, that makes sense from a business perspective. One more thing to dislike about good 'ol CA. Anyone hiring in the Madison, WI area?

Cheers -
    B_B

Yeah, I was kind of bummed when it actually turned into a business.......I swear, now I spend 1-2 weeks out of every month researching my insurance coverage, looking for new government regs, and making sure I'm not going to get sued/fined/taxed on something I wasn't prepared for.  That Prop 65 scares me enough to stay away from it altogether.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Can't blamed you @stlcharcoal, the People's Republik of Kalifornia is pretty weird.

Ship it here to Oregon, and the other eggers can smuggle it across the border (besides, I'd like to have it out here).

:)>-
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Can't blamed you @stlcharcoal, the People's Republik of Kalifornia is pretty weird.

Ship it here to Oregon, and the other eggers can smuggle it across the border (besides, I'd like to have it out here).

:)>-

I had a distributor from Oregon contact me......the shipping to get a truckload out there was abso-freakin-loutely crazy.  When it's cheaper to ship via train car, you know its up there.  I don't see out product on the west coast for some time.  :(

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Yeah, I ran into the same problem a couple weeks ago when I tried to order.  A real shame, but I get it.  Hoping it somehow gets sorted out.
    Southern California