Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Deviled Egg Tutorial

Options
I posted this in another thread but figured some who would want to know how to do this would not check that one. I do not have pictures of the final product as my kids are asleep and I am enjoying a gin and tonic on an empty stomach :).

So start out with any eggs you like (we prefer the ones our chickens lay but they have slowed down for the winter so we used store bought cheapies)

-in an ideal world you would let the eggs sit on the counter for a couple of days to age. Older eggs peel much much easier. We let ours sit out over night.

Once ready hard boil your eggs. My wife does this part as I always screw it up, but I believe it is something like x amount of minutes hard boil with lid on, then x amount of minutes sit off hear but still covered, the cover in cool water, drain and add more cool water. Anyway, lots of ways to skin a car in hard vision an egg

-Once the eggs are cooled start your cold smoking machine (I use the Amaze-N Smoker as I find it very easy to use, see Centex's tutorial on it on this forum). I personally love cherry pellets as I find the smoke is mild, i would personally not recommend oak or something similar as I tried it and it is very strong for eggs, but again to each his own and this is just how i do it. I used maple for this batch as I am out of cherry for the time being.

-once my cold smoker is up and running I start work on peeling the eggs. I personally found it very easy just to slightly tap it on a counter then roll the shell on the counter to get the shell off, out of 19 eggs I only had one that could not peel.

-once peeling is done rinse the egg to ensure no shell is left on it (I hate when I bite into shell) I personally then pat dry the eggs with a paper towel.

-I then used a vegetable plate thingy mobobby (the technical name if course) that BGE makes just because I am too lazy today to clean my grill. Also I have had an issue where the Amaz-N Smoker generated too much heat from the burning end and blackened a couple of eggs, unthought this would prevent this and it did.

Put the eggs on with full open bottom and top vents for 90 minutes. I personally like to turn them half way through as the bottoms do get a nice slight brown color and unwanted the entire egg to look the same. In terms of taste this does nothing however.

-After 90 minutes pull the eggs and shut down your BGE.

-Now for the actual deviled egg portion I take a knife, cut the gg in half vertically and put the yolk in a seperate bowl. To the yolks I add mayonnaise (or we use veganaise if we have it), mustard and that is about it. This time I am going to try splitting the mayo with sour cream, and adding a little horseradish to it. I don't do exact measurements, I am more looking for consistency of the filling at this time. This take the filling and put it back in the egg halves. Easiest way, and prettiest for all us sissified city folk, is to take a ziplock bag, fill it with your filling, and cut a corner out of it, then gently squeeze the filling out.

-as a little added bonus I throw some paprika on top and some Dizzy Dust, it adds some nice flavor and crunch to the egg.

VOILA!! Good luck not stuffing your face with these!

Feel free to ask questions, I have a mind like a sieve.

Peace out peeps!

JT

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Looks good that's how we do them pretty much. Always a hit around here
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I have to admit something...I live in Iowa and there are farms all around me, but I know less then nothing about them.

Is it ok to leave eggs out overnight or for a few days?  

I always figured they needed to stay refrigerated...heck, we even throw away the ones the Easter bunny hides.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing it. We like to add a pinch of cayenne to ours just for a little kick. So glad you didn't say to add something like sweet pickle relish. I hate when deviled eggs have that sweetness to them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fletcherfam
    Options
    @Mike, yes, if you have fresh eggs they can sit on the counter for a couple of days no problem. There is a way to test if an egg is rotten, use Dr. google and he can help;)

@Griffin, thanks. Made 19 eggs for yesterday's family Thanksgiving, they were devoured. I had to fend off a few kids to protect some for people who were going to show up late. I have already been volunteered to bring these for Christmas.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    @Mike, let me clarify my statement, raw eggs = ok to leave out for a few days if they are decently fresh. Hard boiled eggs = do not leave out, refrigerate.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @Mike, let me clarify my statement, raw eggs = ok to leave out for a few days if they are decently fresh. Hard boiled eggs = do not leave out, refrigerate.

Thanks
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Griffin said:

Nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing it. We like to add a pinch of cayenne to ours just for a little kick. So glad you didn't say to add something like sweet pickle relish. I hate when deviled eggs have that sweetness to them.

We use a deal little amount of dill pickle juice. I usually top with a sliced green olive or jalapeño.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN