Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Lurkey Question

Options

So I found out that I will be cooking the turkey for the family on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I have never cooked a turkey before on the egg and after research I am going with the Mickey method. I have two questions related to this:

1. What do you do about stuffing if you spatch the bird? I something from I think VI on doing it in the oven?

2. Has anyone tried a free range/heritage breed? They can be ridiculously expensive, are they worth it?

Thanks for the help.

JT

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

Here is a stuffing that works well in the oven or an extra egg.

First make a dark turkey stock (roasted backs and necks, wings and mirepoix)
    Then fry sausage onions, celery, garlic and peppers
    Herbs, pick 'em. I use thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley (didn't want to sound like Art Garfunkle by saying it the other way)
    Chop the herbs and more garlic
    Punch holes in an aluminum pan
    Make some foil balls and place in another pan
    Put some stock in the pan with the foil balls
    Mix sausage, dry bread, veg and herbs in, moisten with some stock and clarified butter
    Place a couple of turkey wings and necks on top

Put the stuffing pan with the holes on the one with the stock and cover both pans with foil and bake for about three hours at 350*
    Remove foil and cook till browned on top

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wow Steven. Change that bread to cornbread and Merry me please :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Honest Mick you wouldn't know the difference from a stuffing from a bird

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    Options
    @Little Steven, that is the one I was thinking about, couldn't remember if it was your or VI. Thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Cheers! Those are the big roasting pans but something doesn't feel right about 3 hours at 350* Just pull the foil off @ 2 hours and check to see how it is. You can add more stock if it's dry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    @Little Steven, that is the one I was thinking about, couldn't remember if it was your or VI. Thanks!
    Sir VI only posts items picked off the internet posted by others. Egg has ask him to stop saying his food is off his Egg and now his hotdog cooks are on a Weber. Of course it would be Steven.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fletcherfam
    Options
    You guys ever try a free range or heritage bird?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If you do make sure you brine and inject. They can be a bit tough. More flavor though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    You guys ever try a free range or heritage bird?

No, sorry. I can't tell any difference in an $.89 to $1.79 bird, but you are at $5.00+  correct?

The others just seem to be fine (IMO).

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Yea free range or heritage birds can run from 3-7 a lb. Considering I am feeding a small army (29 people) and they probably can't tell the difference, I will be going with the store bought.
  • Mickey
    Options

When I do that size I will cook a couple of 12/13 lb birds and extra legs at the same time. This is only about an hour & a half cook (400 direct, raised cook spatchcocked). I like the smaller birds better.

• fletcherfam
    Options

@Mickey, I had read your previous comments on the way you spatched them and was thinking of following in the same method (2 smaller birds). What do you think you end up with in terms of finished weight of meat? Also how do you keep the other bird warm if you only have one egg (tent with foil?)

Thanks for all your help.

• Mickey
    edited November 2013
    Options

Lowest setting oven. The oven may be busy with bread so tent foil. Found putting in the ice chest kills the skin. Cut up the first one when both are ready and cut up the second laying on top of the first to heat up.  You just have to be careful of the skin.

Sorry but no idea on cooked weight.

• fletcherfam
    Options
    No problem, thanks again for all the help.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    @Little Steven, so on your stuffing, do you buy extra bird parts to use for the stock and put on top of the stuffing?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes the parts are usually cheap up here because of the popularity of parted out breasts. I don't know if that is true down there or if you find that the necks aren't usually in the bird anymore. Necks make the best stock. I usually get a few legs as well and hit them with the cleaver a few times to release more good stuff from the bones. I find a couple of wings and necks is the best for flavouring the dressing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fletcherfam
    Options