Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mini BGE Cast Iron Grate

Been wanting a CI grid for the mini. Just remembered I had a coupla old CI grates in my garage from the side firebox of my old Chargriller Duo. The CG duo has since been scrapped, but I saved the two CI grids. Glad I did now. Gonna cut it to size tomorrow and recondition it. Don't want to disturb my neighbors this late with the sound of the grinder. ;) Should work just fine, but unsure if the ends will eventually warp up. I used the SS mini grate as a template and marked the area to cut with a whiteout pen. I'll show a finished pic tomorrow. Maybe even a pic of a nice steak with pretty crosshatch marks. :)
2014 Co-Wing King
·

Comments

• No experience with that cooker or the grids, but sounds like a pretty sound plan to me.  Can't wait to see the results.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Sounds like a great idea!!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,790
    Neat. @RRP posted something similar recently. Maybe he can tell you how it worked in terms of warping, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,274
    Sweet! That would be good info! @RRP , does it warp?
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,312

Dyal_SC said:
    Sweet! That would be good info! @RRP , does it warp?
    Mine has never warped and I use it extensively at high temps north of 600. The key to it is the small diameter, unlike the manhole covers made for L and XL eggs.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,559
    I have the mini one, rarely use it but its a toy in the box.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,274
    Finally got around to completing the cast iron grate yesterday for the mini. Works grate! ;) Fits on top of the woo just fine too.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Cool

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·