Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DFW eggers - source for good turkey?

Options
Any eggers in the DFW area know of a good source for a turkey? Trying to avoid the Tom Thumb butterballs... Thx

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    You can always give Rudolph's Market a try, might be pricey.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I might be the only one but (IMO) with grilling / smoking spatchcocked 400 and raised direct after adding coffee rub I really cant tell much at all difference in super high priced turkeys and $.89  to $1.18 cent birds as long as they are in the 11/12 lb size. (sorry for the long sentence) (IMO) the size of the bird makes more difference after doing the all the above and not forgetting the cherry/pecan wood chips for  smoke.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Hirsch's Meat Market has fresh turkeys for $2.69/lb and Brined for $3.69/lb.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Scott805 said:
    Hirsch's Meat Market has fresh turkeys for $2.69/lb and Brined for $3.69/lb.
    $1/lb. for brining... that's crazy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    We are a little south of you (150 miles) but at the store here we are going to give away 2000 turkeys to any Active Duty Military that will drive by the 22nd or 23rd.. Don't even get out of the car. SO TRAVIS GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.