Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to get crispy chicken skin?

Options
I know the best method for chicken skin is to allow the skin to dry in the refrigerator. however, today, I'm short on time and hope to find a shortcut that works. does anyone know of a trick that does not hurt the taste of the chicken that will allow the skin to get crispy shortly after washing and drying? I can't stand soggy chicken skin!
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I like to cook my bird pieces direct at 400 degrees on a raised grid.  High heat helps.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    You could try wiggling your fingers under the skin to pull it off the meat, then air dry.  That could allow more air space between meat and skin to allow for more crispiness.  Light coat of vegetable oil before grilling.  I do raised direct about 375.  Maybe direct higher heat at the end to crisp it up.  Kinda a reverse sear.  Final breast temp 160, legs and thighs 180-185.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I like to pull the skin off and scrape the excess fat off the backside of the skin, then out it back on. It's a little work but bite through skin every time

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,489
    Options
    This is actually done for Peking Duck:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,489
    Options
    I'd also read of using a bicycle tire pump with basketball inflation needle to "pop" the skin away from the meat, but couldn't find a pic…  ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month