Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VI's Korean (Kalbi) recipe

I've used this several times, but have used skirt steak instead of Flanken ribs. Will be doing it tomorrow night. They are marinating now. Pics tomorrow, always delicious!! Thanks VI for the recipe.
Ingredients
5 pounds Skirt steak
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
1 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated
4 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
Preparation:
Directions
Sprinkle brown sugar over beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag (you may need 2). Add marinade, press out excess air from bags, and seal. Turn bag over several times to ensure beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kalbi-korean-barbequed-beef-short-ribs-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback 
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Sounds good. Gonna bookmark this one too.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That was one of the items you served at the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest wasn't it billyray? If so, it had a great flavor & was quite tasty!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    That VI.... He very tricky-tricky man....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Pictures, please :) The natives are getting restless... and hungry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    R2Egg2Q said:
    That was one of the items you served at the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest wasn't it billyray? If so, it had a great flavor & was quite tasty!
    Yes it was John, this is the first time I've done it since then. So many things to cook and so little time to try them all.  :))
    Mickey Ah-so. He very very tricky.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Like Caliking said, where are the pics?!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• billyray
    Sorry about the pics. Skirt steak is not very photogenic. Did a utensil shout out to VI for the receipe.
  • Billyray,

Thank you for the credit for your Kalbi dinner.  I used flanken ribs like was called for in the recipe, and they were quite tender, as I recall.  I have never been able to get skirt steak that tender, but it is very tasty.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• billyray
    @ Village Idiot You're about the skirt steak not being that tender, even when you cut across the grain. But I don't mind the little extra chew, because the flavor with your recipe is so good.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Billray

Your receipt is very similar to one my wife used for Korean ribs when we lived in Hawaii many, many years ago. Her recipe called for short ribs/flanken ribs….but she preferred a beef rib that had a thinner bone than short ribs, kinda like the size of pork rib bones, which she separated into individual ribs, marinated them and grilled. We tried for years to find the cut of beef she used in Hawaii…all to no avail. My best guess is that she used rib tips from a rib roast. Have you…or any on the site…ever heard/used a beef rib as I described??  Thanks…. 
    Fairview, Texas
  • billyray
    Haven't tried it, but sounds like they might have been beef back ribs. I'll have to give it a try and see how they turn out.
  • @ billyay, @Village Idiot...thank you for the inspiration. Cooked using beef short ribs, was great....tasty and tender