Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

idiot proof vegies on BGE???

Options
1shot1kill
1shot1kill Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing some chicken breasts tonight marinated in Italian dressing. Anybody got a good veggie that is easy enough for a rookie that I can do on the egg.
Thanks in advance[p]Ryan

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    asparagus rafts marinated in italian dressing, easy and good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1shot1kill
    Options
    fishlessman,
    cool I wrote that one down as well as the campfire potatoes, they looked too!!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    Peel a Vidalia onion and remove the stem and root ends. From the top, cut the onion almost in half (to within a quarter inch of the board). Turn and repeat so the onion is quartered. Sprinkle the top with your favorite rub, put on a generous pat of butter (smoosh it down into the onion).[p]Wrap the onion loosely in foil, leaving an opening at the top so the onion doesn't steam. Place it on the grill at whatever temp you're doing the chicken. At 350 degrees, it will take 45 to 50 minutes to get beautifully, succulently, done.[p]Ken

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Dang my mouth is watering just reading that.
    Thanks I will have to try that!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Ken's suggestion is a good one. We do pretty much the same thing, but instead of quartering the onion, we scoop out the center with a melon baller and insert a beef boullion cube in the bottom of the hole. Then we pack the hole with butter and wrap it up as directed. Incredibly good![p]Jim
  • 1shot1kill
    Options
    JSlot,
    I think that I will be tring that tonight.
    Lawn Ranger does the same thing except with a head of cabbage. he cores it almost to the bottom and fills with boullion cube and butter. Comes out so tender and tasty, we usually just set it there and peel leaves off an enjoy. Man that stuff is good.
    Thanks again

• Unknown
    Options
    1shot1kill,[p]Slab potatoes are very easy to do along with your chicken breasts on the cooker especially if you can cook on two grids. You can use either white or sweet potatoes and they are both very good and will cook at the same temp as your chicken.[p]Just cut the pots into slabs about 1/4 inch thick. Slop on some peanut oil and then sprinkle on 2-3 of your favorite herbs, or use fresh herbs, or even just salt and pepper, and then a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. [p]23MVC-003E.jpg[p]The above picture shows these potatoes just before they went into the cooker. You could have your chicken on the lower level for your cook or if you are just cooking on a single grid, maybe you could have the slabs around your chicken breasts on the single grid.[p]MVC-005E.jpg[p]This shows the finished slabs in a bowl. You can cook these things to suit your taste and get them as done as you want. We also do them for appetizers for parties and I cook them until they are about like a big thick potato chip and this treat always goes over very well with the hot chili sauce dip that we make or just some ranch dressing. [p]Dave

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thats the way we do them also Jim...Maybe tonight we will cook some.
    Larry

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    Old Dave,
    wow, now I realy dont know what to make tonight. I might end up with a hell of alot of vegies lol. [p]thanks for that.

• YB
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    This is a pretty good way to cook cabbage on the egg.
    Larry[p]Smoked Stuffed Cabbage[p]l large head of cabbage
    1/2 apple, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    3/4 lb of Jimmy Dean ground sausage with sage
    4 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
    1 tsp fresh Basil
    1 tsp fresh Rosemary
    salt & pepper to taste[p]Core cabbage, making a hole about the size of your fist. Brown sausage with other ingredients. Stuff cabbage with sausage mixture.
    Wrap cabbage in foil, leaving top open. Place on Egg - cook at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Place 2 pats of butter on top of sausage stuffing and close foil, completely covering cabbage. Cook for another 2 hours. Remove cabbage from foil, quarter & serve.

[ul][li]Smoked Stuffed Cabbage[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hi, Larry. Long time, no see. LOL. This thread has me hungry for them, too. I think we may have to do some of these with dinner tomorrow night in Hickory![p]All the best!
    Jim

• fishlessman
    Options
    YB,
    thats my kinda veggie

fukahwee maine

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    Take small zucchinis, slice them lengthwise into 3/8 inch slabs. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. [p]Paul

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    YB,
    Dang thats a meal itself. I am freaking starveng now and its only 0915. Man its gonna be a long day.
    Thanx for that,
    1shot1kill 1starving Texan

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    We like to slice zuchinni and summer squash lengthwise, oil them up a little with EVOO and salt, just put them on the grill alongside the chicken, cook til soft or charred, however you like them. Also sliced onions, portabella mushrooms, asparagus, and red/orange/yellow pepers. We cook any one, two, or three of these with almost every meal. Real easy, real simple, real good.

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    egghead2004,
    wow you guys are great, but you are also killing me. I guess i am gonna have to go win another egg. 1 for meat and 1 for veggies lol :)

• YB
    Options
    YB,
    We have fried squash and baked red potatoes with cheese & garlic topping to go with the smoked stuffed cabbage.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I like my veggies to have meat with them.
    Larry

• fishlessman
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    one of my favorites is acorn squash cut in half with the seeds removed. fill with a stick of butter, some maple syrup and a little cayenne pepper. roast and baste

fukahwee maine

• egghead2004
    Options
    1shot1kill,
    Have you ever tried plantains? It's a type of banana. If you can get your hands on a couple of sweet ones, nice and yellow, don't worry about any browning on it. Slice them in half lengthwise leaving the peel on. just pop it on the grid until it gets soft. We like them with a little butter and/or cinimon on top. It's not a veggie, but it's a darn good side dish for most chicken and fish dinners.

• 1shot1kill
    Options
    egghead2004,
    that sounds wonderful, and I am sure my wife will love them. Thats all that matters anyway right??lol

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning 1shot1kill:[p]Here is a link to some I did back in March that are very easy and tasty. I did something similar at the Waldorf EggFest, but used "spaghetti squash" instead.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]veggies[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    1shot1kill,[p]Sam prollem as the corn on the cob or maybe worse cause they is curved like that..good lord..you wanna see men lose their mines..come see Baulah eat a plantain..shoot..even if she had no beard hair or that chin with the giant cleft in the middle it'd still make you melt..I don't know how many men went an painted their things greeen an was paradin up an down the street like they was tryin out for the ring toss dummy at next years carnival..good lord it ain't rite...[p]StumpBaby

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    egghead2004,
    this dish makes a lovely dessert, with plantains or bananas. Cook them as described, and then sprinkle with a little dark rum. I sometimes also add a little butter with the rum, and let them heat together before serving. Serve with lightly whipped cream, flavoured with the seeds from a vanilla pod ( or good vanilla extract) and some fine sugar (what we call caster sugar in Ireland). This is also lovely served with a good Vanilla ice cream

• egghead2004
    Options
    irishrog,
    wow, my wife would love that. maybe I'll try that tomorrow night.

• egghead2004
    Options
    fishlessman,
    another great idea, I'll have to try.
    Have you tried that with butternut squash?

• fishlessman
    Options
    egghead2004,
    ive been cooking the acorn for years, they travel well for camping/ fishing trips. the butternut, i used to skin and boil, now i just put the whole thing in the egg and cook till soft. the flavor is much better if you dont cut the butternut open till its cooked and the seed cluster comes out easir also.

fukahwee maine

• YB
    Options
    JSlot,
    Good luck in Hickory Jim...I wish you and the rest of the Geezers were going to be back at my house this weekend....That was really fun.
    Larry