Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First spatcher

Did my first spatchcock tonight. Did a lot of reading prior. Direct? Indirect?
I like doing a lot of I directs so I stuck with what I knew. Grid at the felt line. 400 degrees. Took about 45 minutes then left it in and shut it down. Was about 10 degrees below required temp and SWMBO was not home yet. Took it out about 20 minutes later.

Best and moistest chicken ever. Leg bines actually pulled out. Thighs slipped off the back. Great flavour. I put the chicken rubbed with homemade blend in the fridge for 5 hours prior to the cook.

Oh yeah the skin was rendered and crispy. Not gummy which is what I was afraid of happening.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2013
    Nice looking bird, I did one tonight too 400 raised direct. Took about 1 hour as well. 
    Try some 2" diced yukon potatoes in EVOO and salt and pepper under the chicken next time. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Try large cut veggies in a pan with a little broth in it. Squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, etc...

Looks good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Damn good looking bird!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA