Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison Meat Questions

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Thinkin about trying a Bison Chuckie. I would like to make pulled beeflike sammies. Has anyone done this? If so any pointers?

My wife has us on a diet and I have about all the fish, chicken & turkey I want for a bit, hence the bison questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Never tried that, but I always keep the freezer stocked with ground bison.  I use it in meatloaf, chili, lasagna, Mexican, or anything that I would normally use ground beef.  Tastes great, very little fat.  For burgers, you have to mix in some pork, veal, or fatty ground beef.  Love the stuff!

• Just be sure your Bison doesn't come with a side of Grizzly. :))

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I have tried Ground Bison and still have a pile of it in the freezer. I found it a tad gamey. How do yall cook it, temps? duration? spices?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• @ Aviator, IME, 'gamey' usually means overcooked, or old, but I'm a little weird with game meats.  I really love that they actually each have their own flavor, as opposed to just the texture that we are all used to with 'beef'.  AKA COW!

Annnnywho, +1 that bison, along with most other wild meats need some fat, particularly when making burgers with them.  These animals are on the supreme paleo diet!  

You might consider mixing in a bit of finely diced or chopped (uncooked) bacon/pancetta into your bison burger mixture prior to cooking.  Or you could be a complete sacrilege and use egg :-)  I actually like that move, but then you need some breadcrumbs too.  Pretty soon, you have meatloaf.  
  • Are you low and slowing a bison chuck roast?  If so, i'd do it the same as regular cow, just be aware it will could take about 2/3 the time to cook, also, as lean as it is, it may be somewhat dry when its done, which can easily be fixed with a little melted butter :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Bison connective tissue seems to me to be about twice as thick as cattles'. My experience w. bison chuck is that there is always some connective tissue I can't break down all the way. I always have to cut some away even after cooking.

Typically, I will cook it at a low temp for a few hours, and then let it braise in a foil pouch.

The bison I have had (from several different sources) have  all had a very mild, rather sweet flavor. I prefer serving the meat w. some fruit based sauces.

There is a way to get around the lack of fat if one is doing burgers. Add gelatin. Mix 1 packet of unflavored gelatin in 1/2 C of water. Or other fluids. I puree onions, and use the juice from that. Mix w. the ground meat, adding whatever spices/herbs you like. Chill for an hour before forming the burgers.

"Hot tubbed" seared bison steaks are just about as tender as beef, although the marbling is negligible.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    So you are cooking similar to a pulled chuckie? Do you have a general range for times and temp?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I've done it, I start w. a standard lo-n-slo. Dome 250F, raised grill, indirect via a drip pan.  Cook until the meat enters the stall. Wrap in HD foil w. some broth, maybe some onion. Continue cooking till a probe in the meat reads 200. Reduce dome temp as low as possible, and let the packet sit for another 1/2 hour.

Most of the meat should shred. There will probably be seams of still rubbery connective tissue to be cut away. If you car to, save that for making bison stock.

I haven't tried manual pre-tenderizing w. a Jaccard, but I'm sure that would help.