Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open the hatch

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

What makes the Hatch Pepper specificially suited for NM? Has anyone tried to grow these peppers anywhere else?  I'm in VA and we grow all kinds of diffierent varieties of peppers.  Just curious.

Apparently it has to do with the soil and climate. This would be impossible to replicate in Virginia outside of a climate-controlled greenhouse.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options

Climate, soil, altitude, kind of like certain grapes are better in Bordeaux then Texas

XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2013
    Options

What makes the Hatch Pepper specificially suited for NM? Has anyone tried to grow these peppers anywhere else?  I'm in VA and we grow all kinds of diffierent varieties of peppers.  Just curious.

soil and climate.  And the University of New Mexico has been engineering them for decades.
    Options
    Decades? more like a century and then some.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ok...lots of decades. ;)  I remember reading the wiki a few weeks ago and I remember it was a long time, but didn't want to say "fraction of a millenium".
    Options
    henapple said:
    Sure. I'll have to figure out how to ship them without ruining them. How many pounds? @nolaegghead @griffin How can I ship these
    They don't need to be refrigerated, so just chuck 'em in a box, drill some holes box and write "Fire Breathing Dragon" all over it with a sharpie, then send it ground.  Expect to be searched next time you fly.
    Options
    Being from new mexico and currently living about 4 hours away from Hatch NM hatch chilis are thought to be the best due to the soil/weather of Hatch... its like buying champagne not from the champagne region of france (then its just sparkling wine).....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's like not buying PBR from.. Ah hell, it's good from anywhere. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    One of the more liberal states of the union (let's don't get started because I shouldn't eat popcorn) but, I'll be buying these whenever they're in season and I can find them.   The salsa was truly different but, I've never egged peppers before this, as well.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    edited August 2013
    Options
    nolaegghead said: OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO. said: What makes the Hatch Pepper specificially suited for NM? Has anyone tried to grow these peppers anywhere else?  I'm in VA and we grow all kinds of diffierent varieties of peppers.  Just curious.   soil and climate.  And the University of New Mexico has been engineering them for decades.
    Your BIGGEST Sin:  The Chile Pepper Institute is located at
    New Mexico State University,  NOT UND!   X(

Signed,
    Scott "Botch" Boettcher, MS IE, Class of 1990 Alumnus

:D

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:

soil and climate.  And the University of New Mexico has been engineering them for decades.
    Your BIGGEST Sin:  The Chile Pepper Institute is located at New Mexico State University,  NOT UND!   X(

Signed,
    Scott "Botch" Boettcher, MS IE, Class of 1990 Alumnus

:D That changes EVERYTHING!!!!  Seriously, well, maybe not so seriously....if they don't play in the SEC, I guess I don't pay that much attention.....  ;)
    Options
    nolaegghead said:  That changes EVERYTHING!!!!  Seriously, well, maybe not so seriously....if they don't play in the SEC, I guess I don't pay that much attention.....  ;)
    I wanted to end my post with "Go ____'s", but I can't even recall the NMSU mascot!   :\">

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...