Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Apple and Brown Sugar Stuffed Pork Loin

ParallelParallel Posts: 396
edited August 2013 in Pork
Been too busy with end of Summer fun to do a lot of cooking except I made some "sea turtle eggs for a faculty luncheon last week.Today I decided to break out the BGE again and do up a stuffed pork lion. My Sous-chef (Mrs Parallel) prepared it so quickly that there are no pics of the prep but it was rather simple anyways.

Pork loin stuffed with sliced apples and brown sugar, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raging River spice rub.

Then onto the Big Green Egg at 350° indirect with a handful of apple wood providing smoke.

Pulled at 140° internal temp and allowed to rest for five minutes.

Next time we're going to used dehydrated apple slices as the moisture from the fresh apple slices made the brown sugar turn to syrup. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't the desired outcome which was to be a sweet, chunky homemade applesauce in the middle of juicy, slightly maple flavored and spicy pork. It still tasted very good, but I was looking for some bubbly caramelized brown sugar that never happened.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments