Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drilling BGE Fire grate?

Options

Hello,

Recently I had to replace my stock fire grate due to warping and cracking.  The grate started to crack then cupped.  This made it move a round when I would stir my coals etc....It ended up complicating my temp control.  So I took it to my dealer and they replaced it.  So now I sit with this factory grid and I am wondering if I can improve the airflow by drilling out and flanging the spaces between holes.

Anyone every try this?  By the way I do know the true solution is to get the "Other" grate but I am holding out a bit longer.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here's my 13 year old grate with 3 rods welded on the bottom so that it won't rock nor tip over when vigorously stirred.The legs actually stand slightly proud and rest on the bottom of the egg as opposed to rocking in the firebox. Rather than weld, you could drill holes and use bolts for your legs. HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Honestly, I would just get a grate upgrade. They aren't very expensive and they will assuredly take care of your problem. Drilling in the stock grate sounds like a recipe for having to buy a new one anyway. Just my two cents.
    Southern California
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Ron, you  just never stop improving stuff, do you?

That looks like a great idea!  BTW, do you do your own welding?

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

If you drill more holes in it, or enlarge the ones that are already in it, you are just going to further weaken the grate and cause more stress points--which will both lead to premature failure. 

And since you modified it, the replacement coverage under the warranty will be void.

• RRP
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Ron, you  just never stop improving stuff, do you?

That looks like a great idea!  BTW, do you do your own welding?

No, I don't. I just showed him the idea. Mine was made as a gift for me for loaning a fellow a 20 pound bag of lump when it was too late for him to buy any and they were having a pizza party that night. It was fabricated at a machine shop and made of 3/8" plate steel. It has held up quite well for 13 years don't you think?
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    You could simply add some bolts to 3 or 4 existing holes, having it stand a bit proud as well and that in and of itself would also improve airflow a bit.

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is installed in both Larges and the Mini ( as well as the Small before I sold it). This thing works. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Whoa, @Mickey, that's an awfully clean looking egg!

:)>-
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Whoa, @Mickey, that's an awfully clean looking egg!

:)>-

If you think that is clean, you ought to see the pre-owned cars he sells there in Texas!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can drill them.  I drilled a few to see how difficult it would be - actually cuts like buttah.  I have the high-Q so I don't use it.