Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dripping under egg

I was cooking on my egg tonight and I noticed underneath the egg there was an oil like substance dripping under my egg. I looked to make sure I didn't have seasoning dripping down the side and I don't. Not sure what that is. Any idea?

• I have probably the same thing in cool or cold weather. Does it look like this under the vent?
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,474
    I noticed the same thing about a year ago.  This is what I found.

A crack that ran clear across the base from the lower vent to the rear.  When I would do pork butts it would leak out and make one helluva mess.  After putting up with it for a year I reported it to my dealer a couple weeks ago and the replacement base is on the way.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JoeltownJoeltown Posts: 10
    I haven't seen any cracks and I wasn't cooking anything that was really juicy. Just burgers and brats. I did do a brisket last about 2 weeks ago. But I'll check for cracks tomorrow after it has cooled.