Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tuesday Is D Day...

Actually, it's new base for my Large day...

The new base will be installed tomorrow and the dealer is going to put a new gasket on as well. Give the whole thing an inspection.

What is the warranty for the guts? When I was cleaning out the egg tonight, I noticed a crack in my firebox from one hole to the next and almost to the next one. I took a picture and put it back in the empty base. It isnt completely busted so it's probably still usable for now.

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow...

H
·

Comments

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    According to warranty info here: http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/ your firebox is covered for life.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,434
    Yup, the firebox is covered. They sent me a new one recently.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,938
    Thanks guys... that's what I figured.

What about replacement parts? Say, the base cracks again the next time I'm doing pizzas @700 when it's only in the 20's out?
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 684
    That should be Halloween, right?

Go Tribe!

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
    Dealer tech was great... Excellent service.

New base and gasket installed. Just have to wait till tomorrow night to fire it up.

My wife got a new planter to play with outta the deal.

imageimage
    image.jpg 827.6K
    image.jpg 599.4K
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    What is the over/under on how long the new gasket lasts?  :))

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,302
    JRWhitee said:
    What is the over/under on how long the new gasket lasts?  :))
    Mines been going strong since early May. I'm in.
    ·
    No idea on the gasket...

The base is just a hair wider than the old and there is a slight under bite at the front, while the rest of the gasket lines up perfect. The tech noted it on the slip and told me if there was any problem, they'd be back out.

It looks like the newer high heat version. Not too worried about it; been cooking without one for over a year. Will be interesting to see how it holds temps and if I notice more lump after my cooks
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,598
    Back in the saddle!  I love the planter.  I think you should open the draft door a little to aerate the soil ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    Back in the saddle!  I love the planter.  I think you should open the draft door a little to aerate the soil ;)
    LOL... no soil yet. I just took the smaller planter that was there and stuck inside. Probably will prop it up higher with a few bricks. filling that think with some stones and soil will make it way too heavy to move around on the porch
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,302
    Put it on one of those caster trays for ceramic pots. That would help with mobility.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    You'll notice a huge difference in lump consumption. I couldn't believe the difference when I installed my Rutland
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·