Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying ribs in my town

Options
msloan
msloan Posts: 399
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm no expert but I could use some help. I've read various threads on here warning about the importance of buying good meat and I agree with that.

However in my town I have a couple of Krogers and a few other smaller stores to choose from.

When I go to buy pork robs or boston butts I can't find anything that hasnt been either frozen or has been injected with a salt water solution of up to 8%.

In addition on the ribs I find many that are called "self basting" or they have the rub already on them.

Anybody got some good basic advice on what to look for and what you guys do when shopping for quality meat on a rural area?????
gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I have no issues with Kroger ribs or butts.  Yes, the butts are pre-juiced but turn out just fine.  WRT ribs-skip the self basting or already rubbed.  They occasionally have great deals (at least to me) on spares @$1.49/# so I buy several and freeze some.  Watch for deals on baby backs (SWMBO prefers) but those don't happen too often.  FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually buy at publix but for shop kroger for sells. I've never had a problem.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN