Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Cross Cut Ribs

Options

First attempt at posting a picture, so this is sort of a test run for me to see if I can get a picture posted correctly. Anyways first try with beef cross cut and they were really delicious, not really tender.  Indirect at 275F and a fairly quick cook time as they were thin.  OMG, food is so, so much better on an egg (thanks to all the help I've been getting from this forum).

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

Comments

• SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Options
    Looks great. Did you use a more traditional teriyaki flavor on those?
  • hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Options
    That's a good idea. I have a teriyaki sauce mix which drives people crazy, but didn't have time to marinate, so I just rubbed and sauced a little.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I cooked a batch yesterday, I use a fajita or vietnamese marinade, something different from the stuff in the bottles. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • hotwheels
    Options
    If anyone here is able to get a beef cross cut tender, how do you do it? I loved the flavour and amount of meat, but just not tender enough.

• egger ave
    Options
    marinade with some acid, lemon juice, vinegar and ribs sliced thin no more 1/2", works for me. Don't marinate too long or the meat gets mushy.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • hotwheels
    Options
    egger ave said:
    marinade with some acid, lemon juice, vinegar and ribs sliced thin no more 1/2", works for me. Don't marinate too long or the meat gets mushy.
    Good to know.
    Can egger ave, or anybody recommend a cooking temp and a (rough cook time or internal Temp) to pull the rather thin and somewhat tough Beef Cross Cut. I assume you cann't cook too long as it would dry out a thin cut of meat, but at this point - I don't know nuttin! Thats why I'm askin! 

• egger ave
    Options
    Too thin for temp, The batch I did on Sunday was 10-15 mins direct, about 5-7 mins before turning. Rare is more tender that well done so that's how I cook them. BTW The best ones I can find are at asian grocery stores where they still have butchers and will cut to any thickness you want.

Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Looks delish! 
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    edited July 2013
    Options
    My butcher calls that cut "flanken cut" rib.  My first attempt had similar results, full flavor, but not tender at all.  I recently did a 75 hour sous vide with those & Beef short ribs which I will be doing a full report on soon on my blog.  They were sublime-

Your cook looks fantastic-  Thanks for sharing!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• hotwheels
    Options
    sous vide - I had to 'google' that. Holy crap, most of the time we forget the food in the warming drawer until the next day after our guests leave.  We'd never remember the food we cooked three days ago.  However your blog looks amazing. I'm never going to be as good a cook, but I might have to get out my Canon gear