Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best ribeyes ever

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
About 2 weeks ago, Publix had ribeyes on sale for $6.99/lb so I bought some beautiful looking bone-in ones, foodsaver'd them, and froze them.  Yesterday morning, I moved two (1.4 and 1.5lbs) from freezer to fridge, and cooked them tonight.  I was a little concerned that there was a bit of color change (red->light brown) visible as they thawed in the foodsaver bags.  As we got closer to dinner, I put them on the counter to finish thawing / warm up a bit.  After some time had passed, I cut them open, dried them, gave them a sprinkling of my salt/pepper/paprika mix and a light dusting of my rib rub and went about getting the grill ready.

I cooked them at about 400F raised direct on the second level of my grill extender, 4 minutes per side, then thermopenned them.  Only in the mid 90s, they needed a couple more minutes.  At about 115F, I pulled them, opened the bottom vents, opened the DFMT, removed the upper grid, and seared them on the lower deck, only about 30s per side at 600F.

The outer band of meat on mine was perfect and was literally flaking apart.  We each only ate a little more than half a steak.

Sorry, no pics.  I thought about taking a pic of the leftovers, but they're just not as impressive as the whole steaks were.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sounds great, but without pics it didn't happen. Those are some large steaks at 1 1/2 pounds each.