Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New meat thermometer

Options
Hey guys, smoking some boneless butts about 6lb each and after 4 hours it was saying the meat was in the 180s. I took the thermometer out of the meat and put it in some boiling water and it was reading 220+ degrees, so I am no longer in the trust tree with this thermometer, was is a good meat thermometer to look in to? I have a thermapen but would rather have one that stays in the meat. Thank you for the suggestions

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thermoworks TW8060.  You can calibrate most cheap analog meat thermometers by rotating the nut around the stem.  Or mathematically subtract the difference between actual and the reading when you put it in boiling water.

edited June 2013
    Options

Calibrate your current thermo-should be a nut on the back, get a reference temp (boiling water) and dial it in.  For low&slows instant read is way over-rated-the rate of temperature change is manageable by about any thermo.  You just have to have indications you can trust-regardless of the cook.  FWIW-

(And I apologize for failing to digest nola's post first...)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@louscap. I agree.  Thermapen is much more important for spatchcocking whole chicken or searing nice thick steaks.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon