Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
Thinking of doing pulled beef for Father's Day. What cut of meet should I use and how should I season it? Also, what internal temp should I cook it to? I have some tasty licks brisket rub. I was thinking of using that as a seasoning.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• This is not probably the best method but it sure is easy. I have done a chuck roast in the CI dutch oven with beef broth several times. I cooked it to right about 200 it. Usually about 4 hours @ 300 degrees. Really good and simple.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You want to use a chuck roast.  

This is a popular recipe:

I remember @dyal_sc posted one that looked great:

The dizzy pig recipe says 215, but I think I would start checking at about 200ish to see if it will pull. 

This is another one I want to try:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I generally season was just salt and pepper. I will cook at 250 untilt the IT reaches 160 then I foil and cook for another 2 to 3 hours until meat reaches 210 or so at 350 degrees

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Oh and the it is a chuck roast

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i like to find a big chuckeye roast 8 pounds or bigger. your rub is fine. low and slow to 180, foil, bring to 210/215 internal. if you addd any liquid to the foil keep it to a minimum, maybe 2 tablespoons, any more than that gives it a pot roast texture and flavor. its a litttle drier than pulled pork so make sure to have some thinned down sauce to add to the pull and some heavier sauce when making the sandwich
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I used to do the entire cook on the egg for my pulled beef, but have adjusted my technique.  I smoke the chuck on the egg for 3-4 hours or until the internal temp is around 160*.  While that's happening, I'll make some Au Jus in a large DO. sauté some onions in olive oil, then add a Tbs of flour to make a rue, then add a cup of red wine to bring it all together, and then add 2-4 cups of beef broth (depending on amount of chuckies)  I add some salt & pepper and whatever rub I used.  When roasts are pulled from the egg, they go right into the Au Jus in the DO.  I braise/cook that covered until the beef reaches 200*.  Remove the beef and pull and then strain the Au Jus.  Once the beef is pulled put back in the Au Jus and your ready to serve.  Moist, smokey, and delicious!  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@Mattman3969 nailed that one right on with his advice.

Last time I did some, I used a fajita rub for mine as it was going for pulled beef tacos and nachos. I did two 4lbers and at 250 it took about 6 hours to reach 165 and another 2.5 hours to reach 210 once it had been wrapped in foil.

Pulled Beef Tacos

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    My two favorites are the Pepper Ale Beef mentioned above and the Machaca recipe Mud Pig posted a month or so ago.

Here's the Machaca recipe:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151814/machaca-brisket-beef-and-pulled-pork-tacos#latest

I'm going to do this one again soon, only trying a chuck roast instead of the brisket.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    D@mn!  Now I want pulled beef!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've done them the same way I do a pork butt except cook to a little higher temp.  No foil used.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.