Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Quick...how can i raise my cooking surface?

Im about to cook a spatch cock chicken.  First, I don't have the adjustable rig yet.  How can I get my cooking grate higher than the top of the "fire ring"?  Or, should I use my plate setter with feet up and cook indirect? 

Ps, I don't have any bricks handy otherwise I would just use those for now to cook higher.  Im not sure what I should do....

Thank you.

·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,149
    Aluminum cans(beer, soda)
    ·
  • busmaniabusmania Posts: 297
    Aluminum cans(beer, soda)

o, ive got plenty of beer cans!  Will the labels/paint on them not affect flavor?
    ·
  • KempyKempy Posts: 186
    I have heard of people using empty beer cans. Soda can will work too just not as fun.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just go indirect, it will come out about the same, might take five minutes longer to finish....  Platesetter- legs up. raised grill at gasket level.  350 to 375 degrees
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,045
    Bricks on firering
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·

hm, ok, I found 4 beer cans.  now, does it turn out better with direct heat or indirect?

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,017
    direct

·
    direct

cool, ive done indirect once and wanted to try direct....thus this question when I realized I don't have the right tools to do direct.  Ill try the beer cans to raise it up.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,017
    Raised is preferable, but you can cook it at fire ring height in a pinch.  Just try to get an even fire going.  Move it every now and then.  I like a challenge.

·

Getting the fire to burn even is a challenge I am still working on.  It always seems to favor one side of the egg.

Last question.  At 375-400, it should take about an hour to an hour and a half for a 5 pound chicken?

·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 600
    I did mine on the ring direct and it came out great. 1 hr max.  Brined it beforehand though.  I would probably do it ribs down the whole way next time (I flipped mine). Look through some of the recent threads. Post some pics.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
    Well, its on.  I tried the cans but it was like a circus act trying to get them to balance.  I gave up and just put the rack on the fire ring.  I plan on rotating often.
    ·
    Someone recently posted a photo of this exact setup and it looked great.  He did say he turned it.
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 600
    Someone recently posted a photo of this exact setup and it looked great.  He did say he turned it.
    That would be me Charlie.  But I think that it might be better to not turn it and see what happens.  It's all good.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
    Thanks for answering Flynnbob.  I haven't tried direct.  I must have done well over a hundred indirect -- we can't get enough of it.  I want to try a direct, but up until your post, all the directs i see are at gasket level.  Thats why i commented on your's!!  I would think there would be too much heat that close to the lump, but your chicken looked perfect!! 
    ·
  • mokadirmokadir Posts: 114
    I like it direct, but I've been overruled by the other 4 diners in my family. The smoke that the chicken gets from the grease drippings kicking up from the coals can be quite unpleasant for some.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Use a drip pan that has at least a 1 inch air gap from the plate setter or stone so the dripping don't get vaporized and affect the taste of your meal.  I always put some water or juice in my drip pans to help retard the flare ups.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • Just make sure the beer cans are fresh. They should still be sweating a little so as to add some moisture to the cook. And always go domestic--I prefer the crisp cool flavor that PBR imparts.
    ·
  • Just went to the local dealer to look at raised grills. $89 and they have to order it. Stopped at The big square box store and picked up a Weber grill and 4" - 3/8 inch bolts, a dozen washers and a dozen bolts. Basically added four little legs. Seems really stable and I have $20 in it. Effectively I now have a two tier system as well.
    ·
  • Buy another fire ring and stack on top of the other one, your grate will be exactly at the top.
    ·