Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fogo lump - Anyone tried this?

LitLit Posts: 4,109

I didn't see any reviews on Naked Whiz, wondered if anyone has tried this? Would be about a dollar a pound with free prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370533156&sr=8-2&keywords=ozark+oak

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,312
    I am subscribing to this have a bag on my wish list but never pulled the trigger. I'm worried about shipping on a single bag being dust when it arrived
  • Looks like it reviewed well on Amazon.  I'm going to try a bag to hold me over until the Wicked Good stock gets resupplied.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    Yeah I am ordering a bag of this and the kebroak hardwood lump. The wife has amazon prime so they both 2-day ship for free
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,163
    I saw those on Amazon too (the Fogo and the Kebroak). I might try some after I run out of what I currently have.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LitLit Posts: 4,109
    The 35lb bag of Fogo I ordered came in today. I will post pics later but the size of the pieces is crazy. Its also dense like wicked good but from what I can see the pieces are even bigger. I made it about 3/4 of the way down the bag and the average size piece is still about fist size and there are a pieces that I'm pretty sure wouldn't fit in my mini. I may cook something tonight just to try it out.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,163
    @Lit - sounds promising. Are there a lot of under-kilned pieces ? Looking forward to what you think of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 552
    Ditto

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,587
    Pics please
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    More than $1/lb is on the high side.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    I agree its on the high side but I bought almost 100 pounds of Royal oak and have been using it for a little now and can't wait till its gone and its like $.80 a pound for crap and its not delivered to my door. The first pic is the bag just cut open, 2nd is some pieces I found digging down about half way, and the last is what was left even after digging out those big pieces. Bad news is I just checked Amazon and it went from $35 a bag to $42. I am off to get some burgers to try it out.

This stuff reminds me a lot of wicked good. It was slow to light and barely popped at all. If it goes back to $35 a bag I am gonna stock up. I thawed 4 burgers I had in the freezer and threw them on the mini for a snack. I had to literally go through half the bag to find pieces small enough for the mini.

• Just got my 35 lb bag of Fogo delivered today.  Got from amazon for $38 and that included shipping.  
    Large, Medium, and Mini BGE, a few accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter and powdery snow.