Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

spatch fail.... mini has limits

SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,488
Tried a 5 lb er.... Had to pull her off due to the overhang. The Rutland caught on fire.... It was a fire show when I opened the mini up.

She has limits....
Seattle, WA
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,034
    Think you might try a spatchcock cornish game hen ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 355
    or hummingbird
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,488
    I've had success, this was a little too big.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,543
    I have been eyeing the bonus pack of game hens from Costco. Could probably spatch several at a time on the mini
    ·
    Bottom line I need a large. My first egg fest this Saturday, I didn't pre- order a demo, and I don't see on the site that they have sold out.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
    Don't smack the mini @mickey will come out swinging.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,738
    Time and temp for the gasket?

Sorry - just being a smart@ss :) Thanks for sharing - I am new to the mini and appreciate learning about things to try or not try. I would have likely tried to do this at some point and SWMBO would have been p!ssed that i botched dinner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Dude, the bird might have been a little oversized for the mini but burning can be controlled. If you can close the dome it should be cooked right.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    Thanks for the laugh @caliking ! =))

Is the gasket salvageable?

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    4 lbs is about it on Mini. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,738
    I was sincere about my thanks for sharing. Was it ablaze because of  dripping grease?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Good thing about the Rutland charred it still works.

I think the grease was sitting on the fire ring and the blaze was kicking up from there.

I could have completed the cook sure , and lopped off the charred spots, but this thing was raging pretty hard so I pulled and finished in the oven. Not letting a good fire go to waste did some corn on the cob on the mini.
    Seattle, WA
    ·