Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butterflied Leg of Lamb

AcnAcn Posts: 1,013
This was dinner on Memorial Day itself, I also cooked Pimiento Cheeseburgers and ribs on the egg over the weekend, but this was the clear winner. Marinated for about 2 hours in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, several fresh thyme sprigs, lots of chopped rosemary, about eight sliced garlic cloves, and salt and pepper. Cooked indirect at 330-350 (should have cleaned out and added more lump after the ribs, user error) until internal temp hit 135, about an hour and a quarter.

No sliced pics, unfortunately.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

image.jpg 2.9M
image.jpg 2.8M
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I have never had lamb. Is it super good? We stick with chiken, beef, or pork.

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Wow. I went the direct route at about 400* with a similar marinade. (Funny how you can get the same place in different ways.) I divided mine into the three main muscles because one was much thicker than the other two. The thickest took about 20 minutes. I might try your method next, though, because mine didn't taste very smokey. 

@rholt, you need to trust the source for your lamb. If it's good, it has a subtle, different taste that really benefits from the char of the fire. But you also can get a gamey leg, and most folks don't care for the strong taste. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,013
    @jlsm, that is funny how you can do similar dishes so many different ways. The uneven muscles worked to my advantage; the thinner parts got a little closer to medium, which keeps the wife and daughter happy.

@rholt, I agree with @jlsm about lamb. If you've never had it get it from a butcher you really trust, because if you do get a gamey piece, you'll probably not like it, and not like it forever.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    I've had great results with the de-boned leg of lamb at Costco.From New Zealand IIRC.
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I've never gotten a leg of lamb from Sam;'s that I didn't like, FWIW.  I stuff it will spinach, pine nuts and feta, tie it up with string, coat with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and cook to around 140.  Sweet.

The Naked Whiz
    ·