Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mem Day 2 - Meatlover's Calzones.

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 883
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Originally I had planned to do ribs on Sunday from Wicked Good Barbecue, but there was a shipping delay in one of the ingredients I'd ordered so I postponed the ribs. Two things influenced my choice of a rather unconventional Memorial Day meal. First the weather was drizzly & windy with highs in the 40's instead of sunny & 80 or 90 degree temps. So it didn't "feel" like Memorial Day. Secondly my BGE dealer told me that they had the BGE Calzone Press from the new 2013 catalogue in. One I heard that I couldn't get calzones out of my mind. @Dyal_SC used to post awesome calzone pics on our old board and now here. I always wanted to try my hand at calzones so here was the perfect opportunity.

I am including the pictures of making up a batch of  the BGE Cookbook's Pizza Dough recipe so folks can see how easy it is to do. You don't need a stand mixer. You can easily knead most dough recipes by hand. Some people actually like hand kneading better-they find it relaxing or soothing. 

For those who are interested here is the picture post of my Saturday cook: All-American Double Bison Cheeseburgers.

Onto the pix.

The ingredients are gathered: All purpose flour, sugar, instant yeast, olive oil, water & salt. I use the Kitchen scale to weigh the all-purpose flour out right in the mixing bowl. My iPad is in a protective sleeve & I have the recipe up on screen using the iBooks version of the BGE Cookbook.

The warm water sugar & instant yeast are combined in a small bowl & sit for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile the salt is added to the flour & they are stirred on the "Stir" setting to mix.

The bowl with the yeast & wet ingredients is added to the mixing bowl & the ingredients are stirred on low to combine.

Once the ingredients are combined the olive oil is added.

After the olive oil is added, the dough is kneaded on low for 5-6 minutes. At this point the dough is allowed to rise for about 1 1/2 hours until it has doubled in size.

The dough is now almost done it's rise. Time to get started. Some diced red pepper & white onion are sauteed until they are softened.

The ingredients are all gathered: Pepperoni, imported ham, the sauteed red pepper  & white onions. some herb flavored pasta sauce, a 3-cheese Italian cheese blend, Genoa salami, ricotta cheese, olive oil & kosher salt.

The dough is deflated & cut into 4 equal sized pieces. I needed two for my purposes. I refrigerated the other two wrapped in plastic wrap sprayed with a little oil. The two other dough balls get rolled out into a 12" diameter circle.

The BGE Calzone Press is placed over the dough round & the bottom side has a sharp edge which is used to cut out the piece of dough for the calzone.

The dough round is placed inside the calzone press.

Having all the ingredients portioned out & ready to go allows you to make quick work of assembling the calzones...

...The ricotta cheese goes on first. Note that you only use one half of the press to hold the ingredients & stop at the hinge line...

...the pepperoni goes on next...

...followed by the imported ham...

...the last meat is the Genoa salami...

...the sauteed onions & red bell peppers are next...

...which gets sprinkled with the Italian seasoning blend...

...& the last topping is the 3-cheese Italian cheese blend. The next step is to seal up the calzone. The edge of the dough was moistened to help hold things together & the press was folded over to seal the calzone.

The calzone is out of the press & had been brushed with olive oil & slit with a knife. It is on a pizza peel which has been dusted with corn oil.

The first calzone is one the BGE. I used separate peels for each calzone to make landing them easier and more controlled. The Egg has been heated to 450 for 30 minutes. The BGE pizza stone is set on some 1/2" plumbing shims which are on the plate setter which is installed legs down.

I am glad I checked on the calzones early. The recipe said 15-20 minutes, but when I looked in at around 13 minutes they were essentially done.

Time to eat!

I am glad I checked on these a little early. The crusts were just the way I wanted them. They had a nice little crispy snap in them when you bit in.

IMHO the only way I might have improved on these particular calzones would be to make my own sauce, something I will try when I have more time.

It is fun knowing I can whip up some tasty calzones on the Egg now whenever I want. I have my eye on a lamb calzone recipe to try next. 

Jim

BBQ Website: grillin' & smokin'

Middlesex County, MA
Three Large BGE's & Too Many Eggcessories to Count

Comments