Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
This is my first try at Brunswick Stew.   I found this recipe that had good reviews:

It calls for lots of meat!  I had leftover pork, so I decided to just smoke a chicken and I went with about 1.5 lbs of pork and 1.5 lbs of chicken. 

There is a disclaimer the recipe was modified from a bulk recipe, and I'm not sure everything translated. For one thing, I don't know what a #10 can is :)  I searched around for other recipes and came up with some proportions based on cans we buy in the grocery store.  Also, the chicken broth and butter seemed way too much, so I reduced those.  Below is my modified recipe.  It was pretty darn good.  I would perhaps consider a sweeter, thicker BBQ sauce if you don't mind the sugar. 

1/4 pound salted butter (*recipe called for 1/2 lb)
3 cups (2 large) finely diced sweet onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup vinegar bbq sauce (recommended: Sapp Southern Soul Barbeque North Carolina)
1/2 cup brown sweet bbq sauce (recommended: Sapp Southern Soul Barbeque Georgia)
1.5 pounds smoked pulled pork
1.5 pounds smoked pulled chicken 
*Note: Original recipe calls for pork, chicken, turkey, and brisket
2 28 oz cans crushed or diced tomatoes (drained)
2 15 oz cans drained yellow corn kernels
2 15 oz cans drained baby lima beans
1/2 quart or more quality chicken stock or broth (*Note: add more if it needs it)
Directions
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and the garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes then add 1/2 cup of vinegar sauce and 1/2 cup of bbq sauce. Stir in the pulled pork, chicken, turkey, and brisket.  Simmer on the egg uncovered for a couple of hours. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments