Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Salmon

Much like @Jamieoro's post about Mother's Day Salmon, also cooked two large 2 lb salmon filets this weekend.  One with Dizzy Pigs Raging River, one with a dill/adler smoked salt mixture.  Cooked each filet at 500F (dome temp) for between 5-8 minutes, pulled from BGE and let it rest.  Perfectly done, any type of pink is not an option unless it is wrapped around seaweed.  

Pics and dill/salt rub follows.  

Smoked Dill Salt Rub

2 TBSP of dried dill leaves
1 TBSP of adler smoked salt (purchased at Christmastime, still have over half left; it is my go to spice for fish, with Raging River as a close second)

Grind both spices together in a mortar/pestle.  Liberally coat the filet (skin on or off, no never mind) with grapeseed oil as EVOO can be strong, grapeseed does the job at a high smoke point with little to no flavor.  Lightly apply the rub.  This is not a blackened fish as there is really no heat and the smoked salt can be overpowering (first time I used way too much and had to eat the whole filet myself, family wouldn't eat it).

Ate the Raging River day of, packaged the Smoked Salt Filet in a foodsaver bag.  Refrigerate for up to three days; drop the cold filet (still in the bag) in a large pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, open and serve.  

Bon appetit!
12 MAY 13_Salmon1.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 1M
12 MAY 13_Salmon2.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 675K
12 MAY 13_Salmon3.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 1M
12 MAY 13_Salmon4.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 639K
12 MAY 13_Salmon5.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 1003K

Comments