Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Ash?

Options
I just cleaned out the shop-vac I use for cleaning out the ash and was wondering if this could be used on plants?  I have cilantro, basil, parsley, coffee, etc in the back yard and wondered if this would help?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2013
    Options

Don't do it unless you need to adjust the pH of the soil.  If you're garden is going good, just leave it.  But you can compost them, or spread the across the lawn without much worry.

You can also use the fines in the bottom for the bag for gardening/composting - google "bio-char".

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    My soil is slightly acidic, so I use it on my asparagus beds since it's alkaline. They seems to like it. I also cast over the lawn or add to compost.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I spread it around evergreens to get the grass to grow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Mine goes right in the garden.  Can't imagine it can really affect the soil that much. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    It does affect the soil, quite a bit in some cases. Depending on the pH of your dirt, it could be good or bad, even very bad. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    jlsm said:
    It does affect the soil, quite a bit in some cases. Depending on the pH of your dirt, it could be good or bad, even very bad. 
    Hopefully after I get my Rutlands installed I won't have as much

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited May 2013
    Options

@little_steven - l've been watching a couple sketchy spots of grass under my evergreens.  Was going to go to the garden center for something - now I know it's in my ash pail.

I'm not super frugal, but since using the high que grate I'm throwing away more small chips.  Does anyone care to recover these and use for short/high temp cooks?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I like to put the ashes in the garbage can, then wait for the garbage truck to come.  I have a fire extinguisher and when he loads his bed, it looks like smoke billowing up.  I run around wildly pointing at the bed.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I like to put the ashes in the garbage can, then wait for the garbage truck to come.  I have a fire extinguisher and when he loads his bed, it looks like smoke billowing up.  I run around wildly pointing at the bed.

=))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    VI, what's the fire extinguisher for?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    To fool him into thinking it's a fire.  I'm retired, so small things excite me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

=))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Not retired, but I knew exactly why the fire extinguisher. VI, that image right now is priceless! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    I always fill urns with it and then sell it on eBay to weirdos.
    XL BGE