Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Back in the saddle - 2 butts

After an extended BGE hiatus, I did 2 5lb Costco butts yesterday.  Was great to get her fired up again.  I used a combination of Oakridge Competition and standard pork butt rubs.   I know, probably a violation of some rule, some where to combine rubs...  Meat went on at 9:15, though egg was still warming up, grill was about 170.  They finally came off around 9:00 PM, nearly 12 hours.  IT was 203, and the grill held pretty steady at 235-240.  They went through a 3 hour stall.  Overall, I was expecting about 9-10 hours, not 12.  Was extra time due to cooking two butts, not one?  Sorry, no pics - trust me - it happened.  Both turned out great!
XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,868
    I know, probably a violation of some rule, some where to combine rubs.

Innovators always violate rules...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,047
    Your run time is right in the ball-park for the butts, given grid temp,my experience and a recent cook.  Number of butts makes no difference as long as there is an air gap between them.  Piggies have their own expectations :)
    Louisville
    ·