Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cryo Life - How Long?

Hi friends,

If I have a brisket in the fridge on cryo, how long can it sit after the packaging date and still be safe? By safe I don't mean disgustingly wet aged, btw.

Additionally, can I freeze right in the cryo?

Thanks gang!
8-Damien
Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Can't answer the first, but FWIW, I prefer to freeze in the cryo, Why open to more exposure? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    It will be safe a long time...like 90 days. It is generally accepted that 28 days in wet aging is about the best for more tender cuts. Brisket may be longer. Keep it below 34* and above 32*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,261
    Lots of gracias, amigos!
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    I just made one last week that had been in the fridge in cryo for 7 weeks. I was a little worried it would be bad but the brisket was fine.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    A friend recently gave me a package of Mihi that was cryo packed and frozen over 18 months ago.  I was very suprised how it looked and cooked.  I am sold on it!
    ·