Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold smoked bacon - questions

Does anyone use the Traegar pellets in the AMNPS? Guy at the BBQ store didn't recommend and got me to go with pure apple pellets. Also, the first cold smoke I did all I had was mulberry pellets. The Canadian bacon I did was too smokey and kind of acrid so it wasn't saved. Now I have12lbs of belly in the cure and I need to decide if I will try cold smoking or repeat the hot which everyone loved. Do you think pure apple for 8 hours is too long? How long does everyone cold smoke for?

Large BGE

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,263
    6-12 depending on preference.  i think i did mine 11 last time and it was great in my opinion but i like smokey.  you could always slice a test piece and fry as you go and when you get to what you like stop there.  by the way apple is great on bacon.
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 573
    I haven't had my AMNPS very long, but I have cold smoked cheese, and breakfast sausage using the Traegar pellets and they worked out perfectly fine. I'll also be using the to cold smoke my first pork belly later this week.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • jdgcreanjdgcrean Posts: 44
    @Greeno55  - what's your amnps set up? just purchased one, and trying to figure out the optimal way. i've tried it once, placing the amnps on my grill extender down in the fire box, with salmon i was smoking at felt level.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,064
    Remove all charcoal and place in fire grate. Load pellets and place in oven or 20 minutes to warm. Light at one end or both for more smoke. I do multi tier bellys now
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • jdgcreanjdgcrean Posts: 44
    thanks Chubbs
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,064
    jdgcrean said:

thanks Chubbs

You are very welcome my friend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·