Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many pork butts can I fit and how to fit them?!

jrichjrich Posts: 7
So I'm helping plan a party with quite a few people attending (maybe up to 40) and they would like pulled pork as a large part of the meat provided. Problem is I only have a single large BGE. So how many pork butts can I fit on my smoker? I have the standard plate setter on my egg. Should I get one of the custom rigs or should I jury-rig my smoker? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks Ps as an aside, I'm in a foreign country and can only get 4-5 lbs Boston butts, bone-out (rarely a 7 pounder will show up in the commissary.)
·

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I can't help with your question because I have only ever done one at a time, but good luck to you and thank you for your service.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    Haven't done this myself, but here is a thread where someone got 4 large butts on a LBGE...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1078260/how-many-pork-butts-will-fit
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,796
    I've done two 8 lb'ers at one time. Now that I got a spider to go with the adjustable rig I think I can get 4 on.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,684
    I did two 6.5 pounders on my large a few weeks ago.  Plenty of room, could have done more.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    edited March 2013
    When I'm trying to figure out space I make a couple of fakes ie ball of newspaper wrapped in foil to approximate the size then space them out. I believe as long as they aren't touching each other your good to go.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • flemsterflemster Posts: 259
    I have done 3 7# butts on my LBGE single grate. I think you could easily fir 4 5# shoulders on a single grate. I fed 30+ people with my 21# with leftovers. If you have only males figure .75 to 1# per person. With females mixed in it comes down to .5 # per person or less depending on the female mix.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    You could probably do 3 8#ers if you have a raised 2nd grid. I've done 2 on my LBGE with no problem. You could do 2 separate cooks and do 2 each time. Pull the first 2 and then mix with the next 2. an 8 lb but will produce 5 to 6 lbs of cooked meat
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I've done three 10 pounders on one level.  With a raised grid, you could probably add two more.

• Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 565
    I did (2) 10 lb butts a few weeks ago for about that many people. There was plenty of pulled pork. image image
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 565
    Sorry...I didn't read the last part of your post until after I responded. If you can't get larger than 4-5 lb butts, I would go with either 3 or 4 of them at that size. You should be able to easily arrange them on your large without adding another level. IMO. Good luck.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • If you are doing two 8# pork butts, will the time take the same for one 8# butt, or is it the same as cooking one 16#.  I am pretty sure the answer is the first one, but I am doing this for my daughters first birthday this Saturday and don't want to screw up the timing.
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
    ·
  • jrichjrich Posts: 7
    It will be the same as cooking one 8 lb butt. It's based on the individual weight, not cumulative. By the way, to reply back to my original post, I purchased the adjustable rig from theceramicgrillstore.com and it's pretty sweet. I took this photo after laying out the meat to see if it will fit. It's five 8-lb butts. Seems to be plenty of space below the lower rack for the smoke/air to circulate. Smoking them in two days... hope it goes well.
    image.jpg 1.4M
    ·
  • 5 10's on an XL. Dem Belly Full.
    ·