Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Why is my charcoal "popping"?

Last night I opened a new bag of BGE charcoal and while it was getting hot it was making a popping noise and sparks were coming out of the bottom vent. Anyone else ever have this problem?
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,871
    Very common.  It soon subsides after a while.

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,717
    I get the snap crackle pop when I hit it with the Weed Burner on start up, and sometimes during the cook.  I think there could be a rogue piece of lump in there doing that.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    One of the Weber cookbooks says gas gets trapped in pockets of the charcoal and pops in a little mini-explosion when ignited.  Could be that, or the lump is under stress (like metal or glass before annealing) and the stress violently breaks off little chunks as burning.  Who knows.  Seems like mesquite does it more than most.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Ok. Thanks for the help.
    ·
  • Sounds very suspicious to me.  I think you should send your egg and all your lump to me and I'll investigate it free of charge for you.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • Mickey with some 4th of july fireworks going on. So far every brand I have tried has sparked and popped some. Seems like the BGE has been the worse so far to do it.
    ·
    Pace Park used to have more trees before Mickey broke out the torch-wand...

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Cowboy is the worse, it spits like that through the whole cook. Seems like new lump sparks but when you relight a second time it's not so bad
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • I was Egging yesterday and well into the cook, my lump popped and I felt a burning sensation on my THINLY protected scalp.  I hope it didn't fry any of the hair I got left!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845

Cowboy is the worse, it spits like that through the whole cook. Seems like new lump sparks but when you relight a second time it's not so bad

I thought to myself 'cowboy can't be as bad as people say. Lump is essentially lump' so I bought two large bags from lowes. Happy as could be day I finished. Sucks. Pops. Incredible amounts of ash. Never buy again.
    Boom
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I thought to myself 'cowboy can't be as bad as people say. Lump is essentially lump' so I bought two large bags from lowes. Happy as could be day I finished. Sucks. Pops. Incredible amounts of ash. Never buy again.
    Oh yeah Cowboy was like a celebration of fireworks.....My favorite is Wicked Good but it's not the easiest to find.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,406
    edited March 2013
    When I think of WGWW, I think of the top 5 rappers of all time: 1)Dylon 2)Dylon 3)Dylon 4)Dylon 5)Dylon This is why: image
    ·
  • Crap music spelled with a silent "C".

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·

Crap music spelled with a silent "C".

Wrong, good sir. It is spelled with a "C" but it isn't silent. More of a "sh" sound for "Chapelle show". He was making fun of MTV's Real World.
    ·
  • Sorry.  Nobody lost their job or their girl or their dog or wrecked their pick-up so I wouldn't know anything about it.  Other than it's crap.

·

Sorry.  Nobody lost their job or their girl or their dog or wrecked their pick-up so I wouldn't know anything about it.  Other than it's crap.

Now that you mention it, so is country (for the past 25 or so years). Except it has a hard "c" instead of a silent one.
    ;)
    ·
    Unless you were talking about WGWW. Sorry about the misunderstanding :))
    ·
  • @Eggcelsior you are a funny guy! :))

·