Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Replacing dome thermo

What would y'all think if I replaced my dome thermo with this?? Run them in the holes and set the display someplace fancy. Getting a warranty replacement on the tel tru but was looking at digital readout options.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0084JQL1Q?qid=1362939914&sr=8-6

@nolaegghead
@scottborasjr

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,592
    This would prolly be more trouble than its worth seeing as how I will add mavericks after the temp is stable....

XLBGE 
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,492
    I think just the dial dome thermometer serves it's purpose well.  If you did that that would just give you more probes and cables to worry about around the fire. I'm sure you could come up with something that could work though.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    what i was thinking was something just like the dome but with a digital readout.... not worth the trouble im thinking.

yea scott, if i get more wires laying around would just be cumbersome. 

XLBGE 
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,492
    I'm sure sometime in the next 3-5 years the technology will advance to the point that it will be cost effective to have a digital thermometer as a dome thermometer.  However as of now the weather proofing components to be functional in the egg 365 days a year are not cost effective to a 30 dollar standard thermometer.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    @scottborasjr

Yea man. I was thinking like this replacing the tel tru

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,841
    Would be cool for sure. My done thermometer is all out of whack. It reads 150 all the time when cooled. Spot on if tested in boiling water though
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013