Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Carnitas!

I got a recipe from a good friend who is an excellent cook.  This is very strange, involving an orange, but with many other spices.  Dutch oven at 300 for two hours, then a sauce reduction for glaze, out of the dutch oven and over the grill.  I've got about an hour to go, but the smell coming out with the smoke from the egg is fantastic!  I will update this thread when it is done, and yes I am taking pictures!

I am so pleased with the temperature stability of the BGE.  After about 20 minutes of fiddling, is stays where set.  Great grill!

Dave

no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• I got a recipe from a good friend who is an excellent cook.  This is very strange, involving an orange, but with many other spices.  Dutch oven at 300 for two hours, then a sauce reduction for glaze, out of the dutch oven and over the grill.  I've got about an hour to go, but the smell coming out with the smoke from the egg is fantastic!  I will update this thread when it is done, and yes I am taking pictures!

Great cook!  Is it possible to make anything wrong on the BGE!?!  This carnitas recipe os very good, but also very subtle.  Lots of meat flavor without overpowering smoke or spice flavors.  So glad I got an egg!

Dave
    I am so pleased with the temperature stability of the BGE.  After about 20 minutes of fiddling, is stays where set.  Great grill!

Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • forgot to add the final grill
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,355
    Nice! 

• Looks fabulous!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • seanwileyseanwiley Posts: 21
    care to share the recipe?
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,984
    Tasty!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • That looks so delicious. I wonder what the ingredients are and how it's done. I hope there was an instruction posted.

• Bham_eggerBham_egger Posts: 196
    Impressive!
  • Here is the recipe I got from my friend Gene.    I did the simmer on the range, the rest on the BGE.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Man those look good!  Love me some Carnitas.
    Simi Valley, California
  • GezrGezr Posts: 153
    That recipe makes it look too easy
    :-O
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,704
    Mmmm... =P~
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,984
    Thanks for the recipe Dave

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR