Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Mickey for the rub!

Options
U_tarded
U_tarded Posts: 2,042
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did up a batch of your coffee rub and put it on a bone in turkey breast. Hit it with some peach smoke amazing. The rub is fantastic and even though it doesn't need it because its yours it gets my stamp of approval.

Rubbed heavily under the skin

Comments

• erniemcclain
    Options
    what is the recipie?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• U_tarded
    Options
    From Mickey Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. I didn't use ancho chili powder I had some dried New Mexico chillis I ran through a spice grinder to substitute.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! I made a huge batch of coffee rub from Lou Lamberts who won a award for his rub in Austin, Tx. I'll give Mickey's a try when I run out. Never used it on turkey though.   

How do you like the peach wood? I haven't used it yet and might just pick some up when I go get lump this week. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Damn what a sandwich! Wish I had one.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• U_tarded
    Options
    Solson005 said:

Looks great! I made a huge batch of coffee rub from Lou Lamberts who won a award for his rub in Austin, Tx. I'll give Mickey's a try when I run out. Never used it on turkey though.   

How do you like the peach wood? I haven't used it yet and might just pick some up when I go get lump this week. 
    I'm kinda obsessed with the peach right now it's super fragrant and a light sweet smoke. I did a pork butt, the turkey, chicken and brats al have been great. It doesn't over power at all. Similar to apple.but a bit sweeter.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I will pick some up this week and give it a shot this weekend. Supposed to get a huge blizzard today, but so far all we have is rain. Typically in Oklahoma it will be sunny and 60 in a couple days and I can get back to grilling..

Thanks! I might as well pick up a turkey breast and give the coffee rub a try for lunches next week too. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That is some nice looking turkey. I am different from you. I use the breast just to hold the legs on the grill and not fall off.....  Very nice...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• U_tarded
    Options
    Mickey said:

That is some nice looking turkey. I am different from you. I use the breast just to hold the legs on the grill and not fall off.....  Very nice...

I agree on the dark meat. My wife's company gave these out during thanksgiving and this was just taking up room in the freezer.