Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood for Table?

I am looking at building a side cart for the Egg (as opposed to a full table to put the Egg inside of). Have a plan for a cart but trying to decide on the wood. Had decided on cedar but the local Home Depot and Lowes both carry rough cut cedar mainly for fencing/decking - I guess that would work but would require some extensive sanding and the various pieces (4x4, 2x4, etc) dont have the same characteristics across the cedar. Called a local cedar company and they suggested redwood that is smooth on all 4 sides - which is enticing because it is already smooth but nearly 3x the price.

Have you used utility-type cedar from the big hardware stores and sanded it down or what have you done with regards to wood type? Thanks.

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    It really depends where you are located. Different woods are more plentiful in different parts of the country. If Cypress is available anywhere near you, I say go with that. It is very easy to work with, relatively inexpensive, and very, very durable. If you are out west, Aspen for Redwood might be good options, depending on their price. If you're anywhere around Atlanta, by chance, I can definitely tell you where to get good cypress for a cheap price.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Mine is made of cyprfess and I am very happy with it.  Would reccomend it highly.

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    I am in the Dallas area. Haven t come across cypress...but haven't specifically looked for that either. Will need to do some checking. Anyone in the DFW area know?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ipe. Great stuff but a bear to work with.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mayberry
    Most cypress comes from Mississippi, Louisiana and parts of lower Texas, I believe. You should be able to find it cheaper than most.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Most cypress comes from Mississippi, Louisiana and parts of lower Texas, I believe. You should be able to find it cheaper than most.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Quick google search came up with this. http://www.hlcdallas.com/. I'd give them a call and go out to see what they have. I built mine out of 4/4 planks, which is like a 1x4, but a true 1" thick, instead of 3/4". It's as solid as can be and looks pretty good with the clear poly to seal it.
    Athens, GA
  • I am looking at building a side cart for the Egg (as opposed to a full table to put the Egg inside of). Have a plan for a cart but trying to decide on the wood. Had decided on cedar but the local Home Depot and Lowes both carry rough cut cedar mainly for fencing/decking - I guess that would work but would require some extensive sanding and the various pieces (4x4, 2x4, etc) dont have the same characteristics across the cedar. Called a local cedar company and they suggested redwood that is smooth on all 4 sides - which is enticing because it is already smooth but nearly 3x the price.

Have you used utility-type cedar from the big hardware stores and sanded it down or what have you done with regards to wood type? Thanks.
    Lowes should be able to special order what you need at the pro desk.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    You might check with a local rental company and see if you can rent a "planer"  (typically 12"-14" wide).   this will take that rough stock do at least one smooth side requiring very little sanding. If you do a lot of woodworking, you might  want to invest in one - they will run between $250-$1000