Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok goes mobile

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cook on my 30+ year old carbon steel wok on my Large BGE and Tao Charcoal Burner all the time. But today I decided to take my small egg over to a friends house and break in my new Wok Shop 12" Wok. I had already seasoned it using that stainless thing that has a R2D2 looking tank connected to it. 

I also got to test out my new Zojirushi Rice Cooker that has fuzzy logic and a PHD from somewhere. 

I made the rice two days ago and kept it in the fridge. Here is the setup at my friends. 

First I threw on some pineapple chunks as the egg was coming up to temp and prepped all the veggies and got all the stuff ready on the table. I cubed up a pork tenderloin and tossed in some corn starch, teriyaki, and soy sauce. After taking the pineapple off the grill cubing it up and then it was Wok and roll time! First I seared the pork. 

Then pulled them off and switched to the rice. 

Then the rice went inside and got covered with foil and I threw in the veggies and once they were done the pork went back in to finish the dish.

Simple and probably just as fast to get the egg up to temp and cooked than run out to get takeout and tastes a million times better. Another great meal with friends and the Big Green Egg! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work love my zojirushi ( japan made model) .your wok looks great also.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @SkinnyV I caught it on sale and had kohls cash so I got it for a fraction of the cost. But it made much better rice than my glass top cheap one I used to have. I would pay full price if i had too. Hard to beat a clean out the fridge meal that tastes as good as this one!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Fantastic mobile wok operation. You are the inspiration behind my goal of getting a small instead of a mini!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @caliking Thanks! I went back and forth and really between the two little eggs and ended up with a Small since my need was to cook for groups away from my house, initially camping ( Small BGE goes Camping ) but I've been taking it to friends houses too.( Mobile Pizza Party with the SBGE )I had a long paved path to the backyard tonight so I put it in the nest, but use my eggCARTen to travel with it easier. In this post I talk about it a little more ( Small Turkey ) I went to Sams Club today and was going to do a small brisket on it, but they didn't have anything that I wouldn't have to trim quite a bit to fit. So I will probably do a boston butt or something long cook on it soon. I am smoking a turkey breast for lunch but might just do it with the ribs on my CGW swing rack in my large tomorrow. 
  • Solson005
    I just noticed that my picture didn't post of the finished plate.. Here it is
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    That looks fantastic, my next adventure is going to be trying to cook on a wok. Any suggestions on where and what wok to get?

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Thanks!

Well @Max232 from looking at your posts I would think this would be for the XL Egg? I will answer with that and if it is for another size I can help you out with that too. First you will need a Spider from the ceramic grill storetravisstrick is the only one I can think off the top of my head that woks on the XL and he got a 20" wok from the Wok Shop in San Francisco which is were I bought my 12" wok used in this post. Travis can chime in if he has any other thoughts after using it. Mrs. Tane knows about eggheads and is very helpful. I originally ordered my wok online and got the longest spatula to stay away from the fire. I got a phone call making sure that the spatula i ordered was for the wok in the same purchase and was told the curve did not match the smaller wok so I switched it to the smaller one and saved $5. I don't know any company that would look and think about the order and call the customer to make sure they weren't about to make a move that wouldn't work out if it went together. So I highly recommend them. Then you will need to season the wok and then you can Wok away. (i used my gasser instead of the oven, it can put a unpleasant smell in the house but many people do it that way) 

Ask any other questions you have and I'll try to point you in the right direction. 
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Thanks for the info, I have been down the wormhole on the net looking up wok stuff, I have a woo2 for my xl, which size wok do you recommend? With handle or not, flat bottom or round? Definitely going to give it a shot.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Solson005
    edited February 2013
    Max232 said:
    Thanks for the info, I have been down the wormhole on the net looking up wok stuff, I have a woo2 for my xl, which size wok do you recommend? With handle or not, flat bottom or round? Definitely going to give it a shot.
    I think for the xl I would go for a big 20" wok otherwise you might burn your arm off trying to cook on a smaller one. I don't think they make ones that big with wooden handles, so it would be more like a commercial one you see in restaurants and it might be pretty heavy when its loaded up with food. I would call up the Wok Shop and get this wok in 20" and a spatula to fit it. You might check with tom and see if your woo will work or if you need a spider. Round bottom woks are the best, flat bottom ones are really only good if you want to cook on a glass cooktop and can't use the round ones.