Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs and Turkey Breasts

Options
I am doing Baby Backs and Turkey Breasts on Sunday. What time and temp should i use? I've got several different versions in the past. It's been about a year since I have smoked ribs. thanks, TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Car Wash Mike Ribs

This is a great way to do it. I have yet to do a turkey breast on the egg.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Great minds think alike. :-B

I just got back from sam's club and will be making ribs and a turkey breast tomorrow. I haven't made my plan either but I'll be tuning in and I'll post what I do tomorrow.

My normal method is similar to the one @Eggcelsior mentioned. I just got a small turkey breast so I will probably inject it, slap on some rub, and cook to temp, probably won't take very long at all. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I would suggest that you brine the breast overnight (lots of recipes on the Web). I usually use the Simon and Garfunkel rub: a mix of salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and thyme soaked in oil for at least a half hour. Even at a low temp, 250 or so, it doesn't take long to smoke a breast. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    i went to the harris teeter today to get the baby backs. they were $21 per RACK!!!! So i went to option two. I am doing two whole chickens tomorrow. I am going to take one and use it for typical BBQ chicken tomorrow night and i'm going to take one and make smoked chicken salad out of it. I am also doing turkey for the week as well. It's been a long time since I have smoked chickens and turkeys. Hopefully they will turn out. Smoking with apple chips because Lowes didn't have any pecan chips. I will post tomorrow.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Sounds great. If you have a chunk, or some chips, of cherry, mix it with the apple. Very good blend of smoke for chicken. And as with a lot of things smoked, the chicken salad will be so much better after the first day. There's something about cold leftover smoked meat that just tastes better in salads and casseroles after its had a night or so in the fridge. The smokiness just gets stronger.....mmmmm mmmmm. ~:>
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Solson005
    Options
    Yikes! I got mine at Sam's club for $20.30 for a three pack and did made them today. I injected the turkey breast with Tony Chachere's injectables butter and used Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree rub. I threw it on the top rack and it took around a hour and a half to two hours for a small turkey breast. I pulled it at 162° (i was eating ribs and heard the digiQ beeping)  I used apple and cherry wood but not sure if anything was left by the time the turkey got on. 

Maybe do everything at 350° I've done a whole turkey that way and they turn out good. I haven't gone higher and stay 300° or below when I have done just breasts. This is only the second one i've done for weekly sandwhiches. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    those ribs and turkey look great!! You got a nice deal on the ribs. a third the price of what Harris Teeter wanted to charge. I've decided to smoke at 325 until 165 internal
  • Solson005
    Options
    Thanks I did Car Wash Mike's Baby Back Rib Class which was close to my method before but these turned out great! I will make a post tomorrow. Sounds like a good plan for the turkey did you inject or brine it?
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    The yard birds are finished. I couldnt get the turkey breast thawed. Once thawed i started them in the oven. Now finishing them on the egg. I'm not very hopeful on the turkey
  • Solson005
    Options
    The chickens look great! I let my turkey hangout in the fridge for a couple of days and it was pretty small. I haven't cut it yet so I'll know tomorrow. I think I might do some spatchcock for lunches next!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    LOL, that looks like the turkey breast I did today and the one I thought I ruined. Rock on.