Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What type of roast?

Was wanting to smoke some beef for thin slicing for roast beef sandwiches. What cut of beef will hold up and not fall apart. It will be cooked medium.
·

Comments

• rtt121rtt121 Posts: 630
    I like eye of round.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • The rump roast had good flavor.
    Clanton, Al LBGE
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,250
    Top round, Bottom round, rump.... Roast to medium rare and slice thin for best texture. Past that, they can get a little tough, The thinness of the slice can counteract this.

Check out this recent thread for Baltimore Pit Beef
    ·
  • @bham_egger Great Fish!!
    Clanton, Al LBGE
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,542
    when i tell the butcher i want something for deli beef he always gives me either top sirloin or a top round roast. one of those has a gristle line in it but i cant remember which one
    ·
  • Eye of the round. Compact, no waste. Cook low and slow to help reduce toughness and use a meat slicer if you have one and slice very thin for the same reason. Use your favorite rub and smoke as well. This is one of my favs. on the egg especially for samiches.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those that matter... don't mind ... and those that mind... don't matter !
    ·
    when i tell the butcher i want something for deli beef he always gives me either top sirloin or a top round roast. one of those has a gristle line in it but i cant remember which one
    It's been the top sirloin for me. I need to learn to cut that crap out. It makes the Mrs. gag.
    ·
    If you use eye of round, season it well. Super lean = Super flavorless if not done right.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,386
    I've had good results from top rounds. I liked the ones I did w. a heavy rub or a marinade, so the slices would have a touch of strong flavor.
    ·
  • Thanks everyone!
    ·