Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stuffed Burgers Anyone?

I am going to be attempting my first batch of "Juicy Lucy's" tonight. Anyone out there been successful with these on the egg? Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Crunk

·

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,783
    Its on my list.  maybe this weekend I can break out the meat grinder I got my wife for Xmas. 

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    I mix 80/20 with hidden valley and an egg. Make my Patties a little larger. We stuff with sauteed mushrooms, onions and feta cheese. Be sure to close your edges well.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    edited February 2013
    I make them every now and then but haven't done a post. @griffin did these Jucy Lucys and @MIghty_Quinn did these Juicy Lucy 

I freeze them for 20 minutes or so after sealing the patties around the cheese and that seems to help. 

@nolaegghead makes a good point and thats why we only do them every now and then. But for the novelty of it its a good cook. Like beer can chicken, in my opinion spatchcock is faster and easier and tastes the same if not better, but you don't get to say "beer can chicken". Same kind of thing here... 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    I never stuff them because I like them cooked medium rare, and it just doesn't get hot enough inside to cook the stuffing.  Cheese on the outside.

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 407
    I did these a while back:

I was my second attempt at stuffed burgers and I found that the best way to make them was to determine how much meat you would use per burger and split it in half.  Press half of the meat (gingerly) into some kind of a form.  A ramekin worked well for me, but give it a spritz with Pam or something similar so it will come out.  Then add the cheese, and top with the second patty.

The burgers came out juicy and had the tiniest bit of pink color left so they were not overly done.

Hopefully it will work well for you-

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,103
    this is a juicy lucy called shrimp diane

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416

I never stuff them because I like them cooked medium rare, and it just doesn't get hot enough inside to cook the stuffing.  Cheese on the outside.

That's why I saute everything and the feta is ok not melted...I do it cause the likes them
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94

Great feedback and ideas! Thanks everyone!!

Crunk

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    henapple said:
    That's why I saute everything and the feta is ok not melted...I do it cause the likes them
    That's a good idea, maybe I'll take the plunge.

·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Looks good! Nice job
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·