Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A question for the Wing Kings out there...

How much corn starch do you add to your rub to crisp up the skin when doing wings indirect? Equal parts? Half? Just a little? Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
·

Comments

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,449
    I never use it. Maybe I'll try next time. If I was going to try ot I would apply my rub and let them sit an hour then dust with starch and cook.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,158
    Maybe 2:1 rub to cornstarch.
    ·
  • Just did this for the first time. Did ~3:1 rub to baking powder (same idea as cornstarch, just the one I had handy...)

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • 3:1
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,564
    0:1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,263
    Did 2:1 today probably won't do it again wasn't that impresses with the results
    ·
    I don't know if I used to much or what but I measured it out 2:1. Misted with oil on the dry spots. They were great right out of the cooker but we held them and sauced them and it kinda put a chalky coating in your mouth.
    ·
    Like the saucing rewetted the cornstarch. Maybe I will try 3:1 next time.
    ·
  • Thanks, all. Went with 3 to 1. Just so-so results. I think I'll stick to whole chicken pieces in the future. It's sad to say, but I think wings are missing something when not fried. (The pork butt was phenomenal, however...)
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • solasola Posts: 118
    I use the wife's sifter. Very light coating. Rub then starch. I like for them to sit for an hour or so before I put them on.
    ·