Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Leaving spares untrimmed?

Does it effect the rib cook at all leaving the spares untrimmed vs doing St. Louis cut? I just hate cutting off those huge chunks of meat off those ribs.
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    i think they thinner edges may cook faster but i have seen "full racks" done on here several times.  i prefer spares for the ease of eating/cutting and i usually just save the trimmings for a pot of chili, or cook them and eat them as they finish earlier (cooks treat).  or you could foil and hold until the rest finishes they aren't as pretty but sure taste great!
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Hmm. Decisions decisions.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,974
    I used to trim and save the flap meat for stir fry, the rib tips became snacks as they usually got done quicker.

Now I just rub the whole thing and throw it on, about 300ish, no foiling or anything. Comes out great.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,413
    I like to trim spares into St Louis style, then place the trimmings alongside the ribs, on a piece of foil to keep them from falling through the cracks. Give them a hefty dose of smoke until they are cooked, then save them to season pinto beans, butter beans or baked beans.
    ·
  • It trims a lot easier after it has been cooked and the trimmings are good eats also.
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    caliking said:

I used to trim and save the flap meat for stir fry, the rib tips became snacks as they usually got done quicker.

Now I just rub the whole thing and throw it on, about 300ish, no foiling or anything. Comes out great.

How long does it take you to cook them at that temp? I am shooting for about 3 hrs at 325
    ·