Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coals

2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You stole my joke! I was going to stay that it looks really good for three quarters of the cook, then the "cold air" intercepts it's heat and it is all downhill from there.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I actually watched a few Redskins games just to see RG3 play again.He should not have been played in that last game. I'm sure he'll be fine, at least I hope he will.

@Dyal_SC Yup - thats the ones I used to get. Might need to go pick some up. I'm down to only 3 bags of lump...GASP!! :-O

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Anyone within a day's drive of Fred's should stock up on his "blue bag" Restaurant Brand, about $26 for 25 lbs. Huge chunks that you need to break up with a hammer. You get less than a cup of dust/trash per bag. Burns incredibly long. Got six bags last summer and I'm on my last one, so a trip is in my future. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    i am a wicked good lump junkie! i personally think its the best lump made.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    I ended up with bge brand. Place I went was $25 and only alternative was some ozark brand or something 10 lb for $10. Don't mind spending the money was just curious on alternatives.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Dyal_SC said:
    @Dyal_SC are you getting the oak? I think thats the brown bag with red on it. Lately I've bben seeing a yellow bag, but haven't stopped to see what it is. Maybe mesquite, I think.
    Yup, its the oak. Used it a couple times now with good results...except for the ash.
    I have issues with paying $1+ per lb for lump. B&B is pretty solid stuff - big chunks and I thought the ash amount was reasonable. I buy it from Academy about $13 for 20lbs. I try to pick bags from a pallet. The stuff is like glass, so the more it gets handled and thrown around, the more likely it is to get broken into small pieces. The only time I found a lot of little ppieces in the bag was when I bought some from a small country store kind of place.

I think Frontier got a decent review, and I bought a bag form my local Ace, but have not tried it yet. The same company  makes Picnic brand, which also got a decent review on the Naked Whiz site. Picnic is supposedly available at Dollar General stores near me, but I did not find any the one time I went looking for it recently.

I used to buy RO for my tandoor, but got tired  of the surprises in the bags - lumps of concrete, bits of kiln liner, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Check the Naked Wiz lump charcoal review. Lots of good choices. Great reviews of all suggestions above
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    pretty much all lump made in the usa is good lump, outside the usa wicked good charcoal is good. your paying about 20 dollars extra for that pretty bge lump bag thats full of royal oak lump.
    Guess I'm lucky as I haven't run across any bad lump and I've tried several brands. I mostly use Best of the west bought at Sam's club.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Dyal_SC said:
    I noticed that my local Walmart stopped carrying RO...they haven't had it the last few times I looked anyway. That may be seasonal though. They did start carrying B&B though...first time I've seen it at Walmart's around here. I think it was just over $7 for the bag. It works pretty well, but it does produce more ash than RO. Big to medium sized chunks though, with minimal crackle and pop, and it burned clean. Seemed to have a really long burn time too. I've been impressed so far!
    I think it is seasonal.  My local Walmart stopped carrying it in early December.  However, since they took down all of the Christmas stuff, they have brought back more and more BBQ items including RO.  This is a relief to me since I'm in a location where I can only buy the more expensive BGE lump or some generic lump that is carried by one of the local grocery stores.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Griffin said:

Royal oak is good, can be found at walmart.

Kroger brand is made by same company as BGE and RO, used to use it a lot, but shop at Tom Thumb now.

Central Market carries their own brand of mesquite (don't know how you feel about mesguite) which is good and B&B. I like both.

And if you go to Elliot's in Plano, they have Ozark Oak (and a bunch of BGE stuff and Dizzy Pig rubs). A bit more than RO, but good stuff.

That enough to get you started on some things you can find in Dallas.

Oh...one more...Albertson's sometimes carries a Cowboy charcoal. Not to be confused with what most people refer to, but as in Dallas Cowboy Football. Last time I found it, it was $5.99 for an 8lb bag. It might be seasonal depending on the Albertsons.image

Wow. Cowboys charcoal? Gets akmost to hot temperature and then fire chokes?
  • Last year my local Royal Oak supply, Wally World, ran out in November and due to the Christmas holidays, didn't recieve any until late February!!  I sent corporate a letter about it, and this year they have never ran out.  I was worried about Royal Oak shipments since they had their plant burn down in Georgia, but we had no problems getting it???  Normally, Walmart does not re-stock anything other than charcoal for the three months around Christmas...