Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Alignment

I also posted this in GreenEGGERS.com:

I'm having trouble aligning my Lg BGE lid. I removed the straps inorder to replace the old gasket with nomex.

As I tighten up the straps it pulls the lid off center and reveals a gap at the front. Defeats the purpose of the new gasket.

Any ideas on how to ajust the hinge and straps inorder to ge the lid to fit tightly?

Thanks,

Mike T.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Check YouTube. I think there are several videos of it.
  • Thanks for the tip, Youtube never even crossed my mind, duh..
    Heres a link incase anyone else has the same problem, well done video to boot!

http://youtu.be/71Jplxn4yAg
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    This is a two man job if you want to do it right IMO. I had to do the same thing a few weeks back when I put on my Nomex (which burned after the first pizza cook). I replaced the bands twice but they still slide the dome slightly when tightening bolts. Enough to notice it. The third time I had a buddy hold the dome while tightening and she no longer has an underbite.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • To all that face the gasket change project, challenge yourself to do this without removing your dome.   You are inviting yet another challenge to get dome sealed correctly if you do.  I have changed many gaskets with the dome on, it can be done easy enough.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chubbs

To all that face the gasket change project, challenge yourself to do this without removing your dome.   You are inviting yet another challenge to get dome sealed correctly if you do.  I have changed many gaskets with the dome on, it can be done easy enough.

My issues above was with leaving the dome on. Once the gasket was installed the egg had a major underbite. As is nearly an inch. So I had to loosen the bolts and realign dome (with it attached) after the bands were loose. When I would get it centered, the dome would slide ever so slightly when I would tighten the bands. Once I had a buddy put a little weight on the dome to keep it in place, the issue was resolved.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Any tips on aligning the dome without a gasket.  My gasket fried a while ago and the last few cooks I noticed smoke leaking out.  I tried loosening the bands to re-seat the dome.  I can get the dome to seat good but when I tighten the bolts it creates a gap between the dome and base.

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That guy who made that vid has some really cool mods to his egg if you check out his other vids.

His tips helped me take care of the side to side misalignment, but I haven't been able to solve the underbite problem - not major, probably less than 0.5 in. My next thought was to try loosening the bands one at a time and readjsuting vs. loosening both at the same time. I will try having someone hold the dome in place while tightening the bands to see if that works. 

It doesn't leak so i might even leave it alone.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    i open the dome, take the springs off, close dome, adjust bands, open dome, put springs on, never had any of these problems
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    i open the dome, take the springs off, close dome, adjust bands, open dome, put springs on, never had any of these problems
    Spoken like a boss man... are your bands centered on the flat part of the lip?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659

Chubbs said:
    Spoken like a boss man... are your bands centered on the flat part of the lip

i push the bottom all down and the top high to close the gap as much as possible, i dont have gaskets any more. when i had the gasketi made the lower even with the base and pried the top as high as i could get it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it