Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Older Hobart Slicer, need some help

2»

Comments

• I will say from personal experience that an attached blade sharpener is not necessary.  The older blades are made from very good steel and they keep their edges for a long time.  You only need to touch them up occasionally.  You can use a fine stone and oil manually just to knock off any burrs.  If it is for home use you will never slice enough stuff to need sharpening very often.  In our restaurants we maybe touched up our blades 3-4 times a year at the most and they were used extensively.  We had Hobart and Globe slicers.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Cabela's sells a food grade silicone in a spray can. I have found this to be the best lubricant for slicers. No not pull a rookie move and use Pam as some guys around the firehouse have done. Next time you try to use it, the slide will be locked up like Fort Knox.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013

@SamFerrise and @Bullibe,  getting the two blades professionally sharpened and may touch them up safely without the guard using Japanese chosera wetstones from the Apex. 

@Firemanyz, thanks for the tip.  Will look into Cabela's as well.  The school this came out of gunked it up with the Pam you mentioned.  Guy I bought it from removed most of it, slides real smooth.  Depth knob is decent and will probably improve when I break it down, degrease, and lubricate.  The worm screw and gears underneath are caked with Pam.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Good luck. Removing the Pam is a pain. Oven cleaner works well but make sure you use some good gloves as that stuff is very caustic.
  • Focker
    Thanks.  Figured if I could remove cosmoline from a WWII Russian Mosin Nagant battle rifle, this will be a walk-in-the-park.  :))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• @focker Did you ever get this up and running?  A friend just picked one up today for $100.  His had a wobble in the blade also.  Blade was not bent and hub seemed to be running balanced.  We took steel wool to the hub and cleaned some crap off and what do you know.  The blade went back on and there is no wobble.  I told him i'd buy it for $125.   Also does anyone know what kind of grease is inside the hub at the worm gear?  

Thanks 
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Firemanyz said:
    @focker Did you ever get this up and running?  A friend just picked one up today for $100.  His had a wobble in the blade also.  Blade was not bent and hub seemed to be running balanced.  We took steel wool to the hub and cleaned some crap off and what do you know.  The blade went back on and there is no wobble.  I told him i'd buy it for $125.   Also does anyone know what kind of grease is inside the hub at the worm gear?  

Thanks 
    Yes, after a little hammer treatment to straighten things out, she's still purrin' like a kitten.  My guy put new edges on the knives for cheap.  Threw it on a Craftsman engine cart, wheel it out of the spare room as needed.  

Keep things sliding smoothly with food grade silicone spray.

For the worm gear, I have this product we used when making ice cream at Whitey's.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/petrol-gel-food-grade-sanitary-lubricant-4-oz-tube/401PETROGEL.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rhiJWa4sPf84SEXDW7Oj557kodx927Nj4OxNPXERxJBoCyTnw_wcB

$125 is a great deal.  I felt I did good at $350.
    Let me know if you run into anything, would be glad to help if I can.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities