Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined and Grilled Shrimp

2»

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Did you de-vein the shrimp with the shell on (which I have heard of recently)?  or did you peel  after cooking?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Griffin said:
    Bring the water to a boil and then add the seasonings and the ice. Once it has cooled, add shrimp and allow to brine for 20-25 mintues. Sorry, no pics of that. Shrimp swimming around in a brine isn't that exciting.
    When I was in Hong Kong, I ordered drunken shrimp; shrimp with wine as described on the translation.  The waiter brought a casserole dish to the table and a bottle of wine.  When he lift the lid to pour the wine, the shrimp tried to climb out! 15 - 20 minutes later he came back with a mobile wok and cooked them table side.  The shrimp drink the wine and die from alcohol poisoning.  Talk about a brine, they were amazing as the wine flavor was infused throughout them.  Lot of action in that pot, but sorry, no pictures as I wasn't expecting my diner to try to escape from the main dining room.  @-)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I make that exact recipe a couple of weeks ago, it was the bestest shrimp I've ever had.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    JeffM said:
    Did you de-vein the shrimp with the shell on (which I have heard of recently)?  or did you peel  after cooking?

The shrimp happened to already be deveined with the shell on. That is what I was planning on doing, though. Just take small scissors or a small knife, find the vein and slice upwards through the shell. Then remove the vein.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    If the shrimp have not been frozen or a very large, you can make just a small slit in the back shell, work a toothpick under the vein, and pull carefully. The vein should come out cleanly. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia