Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cut at curing bacon

Just pulled the heavy end from the cure and pan fried. It is amazing!! Thanks to all of you that inspired me. I have been waiting on the outside temp to get down so I can cold smoke. Maybe tomorrow night. Planning on laying on some applewood smoke from the amazin. Any advice on this part of the process?

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Let it sit uncovered 12-24 hours in the fridge on a rack and you should be good to go.
  • Just finished curing and smoking my first slab of bacon yesterday.  It's too salty, and Ruhlman says to blanch it, so that's what I'll do today.  Also, it was the only pork belly I could find, and it has too much fat.  However, I've found much better bellies at my favorite Asian supermarket, so the next batch should be better.  Overall, I'm real pleased with the curing.  I got the recipe at:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looking good VI. I am a few days behind you. Looking forward to it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Just finished curing and smoking my first slab of bacon yesterday.  It's too salty, and Ruhlman says to blanch it, so that's what I'll do today.  Also, it was the only pork belly I could find, and it has too much fat.  However, I've found much better bellies at my favorite Asian supermarket, so the next batch should be better.  Overall, I'm real pleased with the curing.  I got the recipe at:

@VI, forgot to ask, did you cold smoke with AMS? Curious how you like it.
  • @Chubbs Yes, I did cold smoke it with the Amaz-N-Smoker.  It works OK, but I want more smoke.  I just received yesterday a Cold Smoker 3 and I'm anxious to see how it does.  I like the fact that I can use regular wood chips, small wood chunks, and pellets.  I'll probably use chips.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    @Chubbs Yes, I did cold smoke it with the Amaz-N-Smoker.  It works OK, but I want more smoke.  I just received yesterday a Cold Smoker 3 and I'm anxious to see how it does.  I like the fact that I can use regular wood chips, small wood chunks, and pellets.  I'll probably use chips.
    Assuming you got the pellets and not the dust from AMS? Want more smoke....I guess the saying everything bigger in Texas is true
  • Chubbs said:
    Assuming you got the pellets and not the dust from AMS? Want more smoke....I guess the saying everything bigger in Texas is true
    No, I got the sawdust.  Reason being that I don't like being tied to getting supplies from a vendor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Village Idiot  Gary, how long did you smoke it? I clicked on that Cold Smoker 3, looks a lot better than my dryer vent pipe set up. Do you light the wood inside that cannister? I guess you just cost me some more money :)) Looks like a good slicer might be in your future purchases. :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • @billyray I haven't used the Cold Smoker yet, but from all I read, they recommend putting a self lighting briquette (heaven forbid) in the cannister, then lighting it.  When the briquette starts ashing, put the chips in.

By the way, I also bought a slicer that Lit recommended.  Super pricy, but I'm that kind of guy.  
    :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• billyray
    Village Idiot Let me know how it works out for you. Since I've been smoking for 8 to 10 hours, it means I would need to fill it 3 times to do the same smoke. I was looking at the same slicer you got, but I came across a restaurant that was closing and picked up a Hobart 1612 12" slicer. It's older, but built like a tank, in great shape and runs well. It's way more than I need , but for $300, I couldn't pass it up. I'll post some pics with my next batch of bacon.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's a nice slicer,  billyray.  I used to have a Hobart slicer, wish I kept it. 

VI - some of the most coveted bellies have more fat than average.  Not a bad thing - you want fat that renders at a lower temp.
    billyray said:
    Village Idiot Let me know how it works out for you. Since I've been smoking for 8 to 10 hours, it means I would need to fill it 3 times to do the same smoke. I was looking at the same slicer you got, but I came across a restaurant that was closing and picked up a Hobart 1612 12" slicer. It's older, but built like a tank, in great shape and runs well. It's way more than I need , but for $300, I couldn't pass it up. I'll post some pics with my next batch of bacon.
    Awesome find. I am planning on hitting up some auctions next week. I found a site that manages restaurant closings and I have seen Hobarts going for 300-400 bucks on a 1600-2k machines. If anyone has 9k laying around, you can pick up a walk-in cooler that will let you regulate the humidity and temp for dry aging and preserving meats.
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    VI - I also found the bacon to be very salty when I first tried it. Now when the cure is finished, I rinse the belly off then soak it in water for about 2 hours before smoking, changing the water a few times during the period. Big improvement.
  • jimi1234 said:
    VI - I also found the bacon to be very salty when I first tried it. Now when the cure is finished, I rinse the belly off then soak it in water for about 2 hours before smoking, changing the water a few times during the period. Big improvement.
    Thanks, Jimi.  That's what I need to do.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

500 Posts: 3,177
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Just finished curing and smoking my first slab of bacon yesterday.  It's too salty, and Ruhlman says to blanch it, so that's what I'll do today.  Also, it was the only pork belly I could find, and it has too much fat.  However, I've found much better bellies at my favorite Asian supermarket, so the next batch should be better.  Overall, I'm real pleased with the curing.  I got the recipe at:

Thanks VI, just ordered my pink salt. I am inspired!

Johns Creek, Georgia
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I too just ordered pink salt from Savory Spice Shop.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • billyray

Next time you order check out the link below, their price is like $3.50/lb., not sure what the difference in the freight charges are.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=706427c7ece19dc180869adf3ede0af6&keyword=pink+salt

• Chubbs
    billyray said:

Next time you order check out the link below, their price is like $3.50/lb., not sure what the difference in the freight charges are.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=706427c7ece19dc180869adf3ede0af6&keyword=pink+salt

I paid $10 shipping to SC
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    That's a nice slicer,  billyray.  I used to have a Hobart slicer, wish I kept it. 

VI - some of the most coveted bellies have more fat than average.  Not a bad thing - you want fat that renders at a lower temp.

Which model did you have nola?  Found a 12" Model #512 with two blades and stainless tray for $450.  What do you think?  Guy removed, cleaned, and lubricated all moving parts.

Been searching for a Hobart, Globe, Berkel for awhile.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    billyray said:
    Would love to see some pics.  Have a chance to get a nice Model #512 Hobart for $450.  May be able to talk him down to $400.  Wondering if this is a decent deal?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    What size bellies do you guys generally use when making bacon?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    I divided mine into 5 lb sections.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Focker said:

Which model did you have nola?  Found a 12" Model #512 with two blades and stainless tray for $450.  What do you think?  Guy removed, cleaned, and lubricated all moving parts.

Been searching for a Hobart, Globe, Berkel for awhile.   

I don't know what model I used to have....Me and a friend cleared out an old grocery/deli that had been closed for years and the slicer was one of the spoils.  We cleaned it up and sold it - I wasn't into charcuterie back then (this was 15 years ago).

Now I have the Chef's Choice 615.
    Can I use a frozen slab of pork belly to start with? Or would you suggest fresh only? I am at butcher now and this is all they have.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Chubbs said:
    billyray said:

I paid $10 shipping to SC
    I paid $7.50 shipping from butcher & packer for 1 lb @ $3.50, $11.00 total

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    You can use frozen. They freeze them because the shelf life is not too long. Just leave it in your fridge for a day and it should thaw. Or rinse it wilth cold water to help thaw it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Focker said:
    billyray said:
    Would love to see some pics.  Have a chance to get a nice Model #512 Hobart for $450.  May be able to talk him down to $400.  Wondering if this is a decent deal?
    I'd go for it. The best I've seen on that is $500-800 bucks. I have been looking for a while and I hope to get something similar next week.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Ok I'm getting in on this bacon game just picked up a 12lb belly for $2.99 a lb
    Lynnwood WA